"Sharing Files" dialogue box

This topic is 4529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

post-91156-0-67404200-1320243834_thumb.pNot sure this is the right place to ask, but I've been periodically needled by a few dialogue boxes that occasionally pop up when I fire up FMP 11. Sometimes it's something like "Cannot Share Files because ___" -- but this is happening when I just open a single File for myself and am not needing to Share it . . .

ANd at the moment I'm working on converting some old .fp5 files to .fp7, which I've done okay, but when I open them I get a dialogue box telling me that "another user is already sharing files using Filemaker Pro on this computer."

I'm not aware that I *am* sharing any files - - and I'm certainly not needing to at the moment. I'm hazy on the whole concept of what FMP thinks I'm sharing, and with whom.

In ech of the files under discussion, I've gone into the FILE > 'Sharing' menu and looked at all three options, and each one is toggled 'Off'.

I'm not sure whether this is a sharing option relation to a particular file, or a general software configuration, or something to do with my Mac OSX system? (I'm on 10.5.8). I think I did open FMP server once on this machine, just to explore it a little, but I don't use Server at all. Did I maybe do something along the line that's causing this issue?

My files are all working okay -- but it's just a nuisance thing, this dialogue will pop up and I have to dismiss it all the time.

Any help with my lack of concept appreciated!

The problem is that the file is on a shared network volume, and multiple users can see the file and double-click to open it.

The first dialog appears when somebody else has opened the file already. The second message has happened because your are the first top open it but sharing is disabled in your copy of FMP.

This is the WORST way to share FMP files. I have a corporate client doing this and twice in a month the file has become locked with damaged OS-level privileges and require an IT admin to fix.

Get FM Server.

Here's the thing: I'm not trying to share the files. I'm just trying to use them myself, single-client on my own iMac.

I think what happened is that at some point I was trying to *learn* about the file-sharing options, or I was sent a database file that someone else had been sharing in the way you describe. So all I'm trying to do right now is to get these files to behave without sharing, on my single machine.

Are you saying that these files are permanently damaged in some way? I was hoping there was just some setting I needed to go in and switch on or off . . .

This topic is 4529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.