All numbers displayed as percentages multiplied by 100

jn08

This topic is 4170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I think I must just have some weird setting in place but I can't for the live of me find it. Every time I set a number field to display as a percentage it shows it as a percentage times 100. For e.g. If the number in "general" format is 40, and I set it to percentage it changed to "4000%". It's clearly only a display issue, as if I change it back to general it displays in the original format.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've tried the same thing in a new database with the same result, so I assume it's a preference in FileMaker.

You will need to create a number calculation = yourNumberField / 100 then set this calculation on your layout and define as percent in Inspector. Or you can use conditional format with a bit more effort. Which to suggest would depend upon how this percentage is going to be used and displayed. Is it form layout, list or table? Does data-entry take place on same layout where User might change an entry which will affect the percentage on same layout? Will this percentage ever need to be exported or displayed on a related table?

If you will not normally use this calculation (if you create it) for other things, I would suggest the conditional format approach. It may need a nudge on refresh depending upon how it is being used. Can you explain more about that percentage?

I'm using the number in calculations elsewhere, so I can't change the number in the field. I don't understand, is this normal behaviour? Why would the percentage field change the number displayed? I want the user to input a percentage ... It's very confusing.

It's clearly only a display issue

No, it's a conceptual issue. 50% of something means one half, i.e. 1/2 = 0.5. You should be entering ".4" when you mean 40% - or set the field to auto-enter Self/100, if you prefer to enter "40" (this needs to be smartened up a bit to handle editing of the value).

I guess so. I'll have to change the calculations pertaining to it. But I definitely want the user to enter the whole percentage amount. This is a confusing issue. What if the user wanted to enter 0.4%? It's not particularly intuitive from a user interface design perspective, even if conceptually it makes sense.

Not sure what you mean by smarten up a bit to handle editing ...

Not sure what you mean by smarten up a bit to handle editing ...

I mean that if user entered "40" and it was adjusted to ".4" and now user wants to change it to 45%, it (a) may be confusing to the user to click in the field and see "40%" change to ".4" and (B) if user corrects it to ".45" you are NOT supposed to divide it by 100 again.

you could create a field where data is entered as "40" for 40% and then create another field that will convert it to .40 and then use that field for all other calculations.

the user would only be aware of the whole number - if there is a set number of % you can enter in to this field you could add them in to a value list or drop down list.

but my preference is to always use the decimal value for data entry purposes.

Once a user is educated it will be come second nature - put a validation on the field so that if it is > 1 you instruct them with an example.

• 11 months later...
  • Newbies

I know this is a really old post,  but I also had this problem,  it's more an aesthetics issue, if your input of 40 gives you 4000% not 40% your users will most likely see the problem before they leave the screen. 

But there is a vary easy fix I use,  a short script that is triggered on object exit.

Set Variable [ $Number ; YourField ]

If [ $Number > 1 ]

Set Field [ YourField ; $Number / 100 ]

End If 

This assumes your never going to need any percentage over 100% and you can enter either 40, or .4, or 40% and when you exit the object it will always be 40%

• Like 1

This topic is 4170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.