"account and password you entered cannot be used..."

DigiVie

This topic is 4423 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

A client of mine is running FPF11v3 on 4 machines on their network, and they individually access FMP databases on a network folder on their server, with only one of them opening the database at a time (not shared).

This has worked well for the last year on 11v3, and previously on older versions of FM.

Today, their office administrator got the following error attempting to open the database:

"The account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file. Please try again."

Rebooting everything did not help.

The database can be opened from another installation of FMP on their network.

If I copy the database to a local drive on the offending machine, it opens fine.

There is only one username/password they all use to access the file.

I'm a FMP novice, so I'm confused why this is happening. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

I see that this is an older, unanswered post, but I had something similar occur yesterday and I came across this post while searching to see if there were others with this issue; guess so :)

Here is my scenario:

During my dev process, I always work on a copy of the previous build. If I make a lot of changes to the file, I will close it, duplicate it in Finder, rename it and then start working on that file. No problems until yesterday when I figured it would be good time to see how things are going to act on the iPad. Well that's odd, I can't log in; get the exact message you have in your title! what the ... Now I am CERTAIN that I had an earlier built open in the iPad so I tried that one ... yep, opened no problem. So I kept going forward until I got to one that wouldn't open. I spent the better part of the day comparing the security, privilege sets, sharing settings ... anything I could think of! No luck. Same thing happened when I tried to "open remote"the files using another FMPro 11install on the network; one build would, the next build wouldn't! This is no good!

I was just about to post here looking for any help I could find, when for some reason, I recalled something I read a long time ago about "Save a Copy As ... > compacted copy (smaller)". Did that, and I could now open remotely again! What the heck?!?!?

It should be noted that these files were able to be opened on either computer on the network natively, just that they could not be opened remotely from another computer, remotely being served with FMSA 11 or the iPad. After saving compacted, all was fine again.

Any ideas as to why this happened(s)?

• 4 weeks later...

What key do you hold down to force login, Option/Alt or SHIFT?

If you are on the Mac Platform, it is possible that the keychain item used for automatically logging in may be incorrect.

Search the keychain for the database file name or "FileMaker". You may choose to backup your keychain, or export that item, but you should try deleting that (those) items, then try a forced login (I think it's the SHIFT key), type a known-good username and password, then check the box "Save to Keychain".

So, since this works from other networked computers and devices, I would rule out a bad stored login item before assuming database corruption. That being said, the method you are using for communal network access to the file does put your data more at risk than a dedicated FileMaker Server.

• 3 weeks later...

Filemaker server is the best recommendation but not for the wallet, it’s very expensive. My clients are small companies, the number doesn’t justify and they don’t want to spend that money.

This topic is 4423 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.