Best OS for 5.5 Server?

This topic is 4462 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi guys

We're running an aging PowerMac G5 server for our material/production system that I'm looking to replace. It recently failed due to bad memory, causing database corruption. Thankfully we had a 4 hour old backup to rollback to. We're up and running now but the boss told me to get something new and something that isn't a ticking bomb.

At the moment we're stuck with 5.5 server, I know it's old and we're looking into what we can do about it, but that's still quite some time away and I'd like to replace the hardware a.s.a.p.

What I've found out is that going Windows is our best bet, but the question is, which version? I've read that newer Windows version doesn't work that well together with the aging 5.5 server, but what versions do work well? Since one can't get a new machine with an old OS, have anyone of you any experience with virtualizing these things? I'm thinking in the lines of getting a new machine with Win7 or similar, stick VMware on there and install Windows 2000/XP and install FileMaker Server 5.5 in the virtual machine. My personal experience throughout the years with VMware tells me that performance losses should be negligible.

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

Stefan

This topic is 4462 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.