Auto Expand Text Field - Help Please

This topic is 2526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone! I have been searching all over for answers, and there seems to be none. I have a data entry "Comments" field and I want the field to expand when the text goes over the size of the field. Is there ANY possible way? I do not want to make a huge 'Comments' field and use the slide function for printing. I want the field to expand as the text goes. I was thinking there might be a solution using some calculation, script trigger, or conditional formatting. I haven't figured it out yet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

for screen use you can add a scroll bar to the text field then the user can scroll down - if you are referring to printing you will need to explore a different option - you can stretch the field as long as you think you need and have it slide up / but you can't do the inverse and expand to encompass largest content.

check out the technique in the download section

http://fmforums.com/forum/files/file/5-multipage-letter/

and this article http://www.filemakerhacks.com/?p=2941

• 5 years later...
  • Newbies

Hello! We have a similar question and unfortunately the scroll and slide up features do not help. We have a layout that shows events within a week. This layout has a portal with records for each employee going to said event. We need to be able to see all of the employees (up to about 125 on very busy events) going to an event without the layout having pages and pages of blank spaces. Is there any script or magic trick that can make a portal expand with each record?

7 minutes ago, Argyle said:

Is there any script or magic trick that can make a portal expand with each record?

No. However, you can present a list view of the table joining Events and Employees, sorted by event, with a sub-summary part showing the event details.

• Newbies
22 hours ago, comment said:

No. However, you can present a list view of the table joining Events and Employees, sorted by event, with a sub-summary part showing the event details.

Aha! That solved a lot of the issue. Thank you!

This topic is 2526 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.