Software Download Control Script or Service

This topic is 3608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm looking for a company or script that can allow my to put my solution on a server then provide customer's with a password or link that will let them download the software. The password or link would then expire within some number of days.

We used to use a service like this up to a few years ago but they were bought out and the service was cancelled, and I can't find anything else like this. I think one problem is that I don't know what to search for. It seems like this has to be a fairly popular service or script but I can't seem to be able to find anything.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------

Edited...

I should have mentioned... I'm not looking for a digital media sales service or anything that requires PayPal.

Apple's Mobile Me cloud service had a facility to create time-limited links to shared files. Perhaps some other service like Dropbox will have something similar.

Thanks Vaughan,

(I don't know if it's just me, but I never seem to get notifications of replies here(?))

I did a lot of digging (actually my wife did) and found that there SEEMS to be a handful of companies that offer this service but they don't clearly advertise it. To me, it seems like a reasonable and valuable offering. It may be because Mobile.Me offered it they had the market a bit cornered. Don't know.

Our need was to protect our copies of FMP, FMS, our solution and various documentation that we didn't want presented until post sales then be able to send a new customer a time-sensitive link along with their license codes. The time-sensitive link was a major issue. There are plenty of sites that will either 1) let you upload your small solutions for download; 2) sell your product online along with their shopping cart and; 3) provide a variety of cloud storage and sharing options. Needing to send links to access groups of files with minimal room for error was important. (Along with a reasonable cost)

We ended up using FilesAnywhere which is looking like it's going to work VERY well. We can setup folders that contain, for example, a set of files for a customer requiring FMP and FMS and a separate folder for customers that only require FMP. Each folder can have it's own cover email, then all you have to do to share a folder is enter the recipient's email address and hit Send. The customer gets a nice clean interface showing them all the files to download. You can do history reporting without storing the recipients email.

Most other services that we ran across required people to have an account or we had to create a login for them. This was very undesirable. Although the branded option at File Anywhere was overpriced for our needs (starting at $99/mo) or plan is about $8/mo so very affordable and we can live with their branding on the page.

Ideally, I wanted to integrate the sharing into our FM license control and contact management database. Issue with that included limitations on number of attachments and the simplicity we desired for customers. Also, even with mail plug-ins, going the route of using FM didn't seem like the best option.

We also got an extra 1Gb storage by Tweeting an ad for them. - Don't know if this is a permanent offer.

I hope this info helps anyone reading :)

Thanks Vaughan,

(I don't know if it's just me, but I never seem to get notifications of replies here(?))

it could be, check your settings for this by going to your Name in the Toolbar, right hand side of your browser and checking and the little down arrow key. and selecting My Settings and then select Notification Preferences

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Lee, That was a bit of a rhetorical question but just the same, I didn't get off my butt and look until you said something. (I guess I needed that)

• 2 years later...

I easily zip a FM runtime solution to a ZIP, then use ExractWinZip. that builds a executable exe file  ..  (also used to auto rebuilds my FM solution structure folders and support files etc. incase of  crash, never FM, usually hardware, thus they are saving their appData file somewhere too (only))         The winZip exe is a smaller foot print downloaded, i am using a customer html page,    and auto run my FM app start file..

My update is a simpler, a running solution with sample data  ( the  updating client with 3 files only.. using a consistent BIND Code to btw or maintain that too,   in  current folder replacing 3 same named files, the exe, and 2 fmp12 files)     (my data and prog are separated)    

I then run the new version  opening all files,  with new version sample data.. go to admin, and run a update script, that appends, a process for each file.. later maybe some scripts that fix..  if needed, same code working 10 years.. i just keep adding to it as i add a new file to project/   Each customer is timestamped, has own 64bit activations code and to extend time out 8 timeouts or bill quarters for renting..

This topic is 3608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.