SC, web publishing, and FM server 12

This topic is 4168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm looking for some clarification about setting up FileMaker Server 12 for CWP (PHP) when using SuperContainer. 360Works has noted that:

"The FileMaker 12 Web Publishing Engine does not currently support plugins on 64-bit operating systems. To use plugins with Instant Web Publishing (IWP) or Custom Web Publishing, please ensure that the FileMaker Web Publishing Engine is installed on 32-bit operating systems."

Does this mean that if I'm using SuperContainer with custom web publishing on FileMaker Server 12, I need to install on a 32-bit system? It sounds like this is the case, but I'm not sure if SuperContainer is considered a plugin in this context, given that it doesn't install the same way as other server-side plugins.

Thanks,

Dave

Does this mean that if I'm using SuperContainer with custom web publishing on FileMaker Server 12, I need to install on a 32-bit system? It sounds like this is the case, but I'm not sure if SuperContainer is considered a plugin in this context, given that it doesn't install the same way as other server-side plugins.

Thanks,

Dave

Important: This applies only to plugins! The SuperContainer server will install just fine on any flavor of OS.

This is, and would be the case, for SuperContainer and any other plug-in (360Works or not) you installed in the WPE due to the fact that the Web Publishing Engine only has a single 64-bit process incapable of running any plugins (since they would all be 32-bit).

The reason plug-ins can run within the Database server is because the Database Server has a separate 32-bit process that runs any installed plugins.

Do you guys have plans to make SuperContainer compatible with FM's WPE on 64-bit OS soon?

This actually isn't up to us. In fact, EVERY plugin running on a 64-bit OS in FMS12 WPE will not work as there does not exist a 64-bit plugin API in which any plugin can be built.

This is why SC will not work on a 64-bit machine in the WPE. If you were to install any other plugin, 360works or not, the plugin would not work on that machine running FileMaker Server 12.

NOTE: This is with FM's WPE only. You will only need to "downgrade" to a 32-bit OS if you are needing to run any plug-ins through the IWP or Custom Web publishing. However, SuperContainer in every other capacity should work just fine.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact me at the phone number or e-mail address listed below.

Regards,

• 2 months later...

So what OS's are 32 bit these days? Aren't both OS X 10.6 and 10.7 64-bit? And Windows 7? And the Server versions of all of those? Don't we have to use the plugin to make SC work with web publishing, just to do the SetBaseURL at least?

Gary Gnurps

Don't we have to use the plugin to make SC work with web publishing, just to do the SetBaseURL at least?

In any case where SuperContainer Companion plugins are being used, yes you would need a 32-bit OS. However, hosting a solution with SuperContainer with web publishing does not necessitate the use of SuperContainer's Companion plug-in (i.e., a solution can run just fine without using a single plug-in function in IWP).

• Newbies

Great thread but my simple brain needs some clarification. I have a FM Server 12 running on Win7 64bit. I have SC also. Are you saying that SC will not work in something i have developed for IWP but will work fine in FM Pro or FM GO?

Cheers

TU

From what I have been told (by a FileMaker engineer) is that even on 64-bit Server, server scripts will run plugins due to the fact that the processes being spun off by server for scripts are 32-bit. (I didn't ask about IWP as I try to stay away from it, but do use CPW and should have asked about that.) If I have been told wrong, please let me know.

This brings up another question. Supposedly, FM12 Server was totally re-written to seperate server from scripting and the web publishing engine. I've also been told by FileMaker that IWP hasn't changed at all code wise from 11 to 12. (Probably recompiled under a 64-bit compiler is all.) So did FileMaker just not think it through on IWP (or even CWP)?

One speculation that I've heard is that FileMaker has been thinking about dropping IWP all together for CWP.

-Scott

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys!

I notice the FMS12 patch notes mention: -

'Added support for loading 64-bit plug-ins used by Custom Web Publishing solutions. Note: Use the FileMaker 12 plug-in SDK to create 64-bit plug-ins.'

Does this mean you can update SC to work server-side for IWP on 64-bit servers?

Keep up the good work!

My FM12 solution uses SC and IWP and I can upload files via the web.

That's good, but is it running on a 64-Bit server?

I am referring to the issue previously acknowledge by ooparah of 360works.

... Unless FileMaker release a 64-bit plug-in API or releases an update to FileMaker server which has a separate 32-bit process to handle plugins for the Web Publishing Engine, then we are all (for lack of a better word), stuck...

Would be good to hear if a fix is in the works.

It is now possible for plugins to be modified to run in 64 bit mode. I'm not sure of the exact timing, but I'm guessing the new plug-in SDK came out with the v2 rev a few weeks ago.

Don't know of 360 has done that yet for SC, but they're pretty on the ball and I don't doubt they'll release the update as soon as they can.

It seems either 360works have done so already or the changes in FMS12v2 made things good.

I just downloaded the latest SuperContainer and installed it on a Win2K8R2x64 box running FMSA12v2 and all is well, the plugin is working server-side with FMP and IWP clients with no problems.

Good stuff!

• 1 month later...

It seems either 360works have done so already or the changes in FMS12v2 made things good.

I just downloaded the latest SuperContainer and installed it on a Win2K8R2x64 box running FMSA12v2 and all is well, the plugin is working server-side with FMP and IWP clients with no problems.

Good stuff!

Actually that wasn't correct.

The plugin works fine when run locally on FileMaker Server 12 via a scheduled script but it doesn't appear to be recognised when called from an IWP client,

I placed the latest version of SC (2.864) in C:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker ServerWeb Publishingpublishing-enginewpcPlugins, but a simple 'SCVersion' called via IWP returns a "?" so I guess it isn't working.

Hopefully the guys at 360Works are on it.

This topic is 4168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.