Insert PDF Greyed Out?

This topic is 2572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I realized I'd have to start a new database. It doesn't matter much, I was hoping it would be little thumbnails and I could "pop up" to see something. I store contracts in them, and sometimes I need to check one thing or the other, but the way they are stored makes it a pain.

Thank you everyone though for the advice/help.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Can anyone shed any more light on this?

I have a file that was converted form FM12 to 13.  Whilst I never tested the insert pdf functionality whilst it was in 12, in 13 the insert PDF option is greyed out.  I do have the option for interactive pdf switched on.

If I create a new database in FM13 I can see the insert pdf option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Russell

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Think I have a solution to the greyed out 'Insert PDF'  I have been having the issue on windows 7,8,8.1 & 10 as well as MAC OSX

If you associate a container field to an edit box it does not work right, I have to drag in the container from the field picker Dialogue

Let me know if this works for you

Edited by Angelssword

• 6 months later...
  • Newbies

I have this same problem and cannot clear it by any of the so far suggested methods. It is very frustrating!

I am running Filemaker 14 Pro on a Mac with OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan).

I have checked with the inspector that the PDF option is selected. The edit box field in Inspector is greyed out so cannot be selected by mistake.

I have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed and set as default viewer (though I do not see why I cannot use Preview).

Yes, I can insert the file instead of inserting a PDF, but then I cannot open it from the layout (the only way of accessing it then is by exporting it first, then opening the exported file).   

• 6 months later...
  • Newbies

When you click 'add a file', choose your file but at the bottom there is a box which says 'save only reference to file' and save it. Now in the database whenever you double click the box the .pdf file will open.

Actually, "save only Reference" isn't the ideal solution since in a multi-user environment you'd need to ensure that each user can access the path to the file. I find it best to have the file stored on the server, and use external storage for containers.

This topic is 2572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.