What is a Invalid Table Key?

This topic is 4113 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After converting and discovering some corruption, I'm attempting to repair my files before recovery and i'm getting a "invalid table key" error.. Recovery resets it but I would like to fix this myself without having to recover the file.

Can anyone provide any info on this recovery error?

It's probably not something you can fix yourself.

Try saving a compressed copy instead of recover and see if that fixes it.

The recover command recovers DATA and is not intended to fix database structure. In fact the recover command can destroy structure in its attempt to recover the data. Best practice is to recover a file then import the data into a known-good copy of the file, and not put the recovered file back into production.

• Like 1

I agree with Vaughan, go back to your oldest backup and try to convert that one, just to get the structure converted. If that one gives you the same error: re-examine your setup and your procedures. At some point something must have gone out of whack and you did not catch it, Backup verification and server monitoring is a chore but it absolutely needs to be done... you can design as elegantly as you want but if the deployment is faulty all of your development efforts are wasted.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7365/~/messages-that-appear-in-recover.log

It seems to be in this group of recovery messages according to this KB:

"Resetting invalid plug-in arguments"

"Reset field formatting"

"Reset table view"

"Resetting invalid data type, setting data type to text"

"Resetting invalid maximum repetitions"

"Resetting invalid field key"

"Resetting invalid key"

"Resetting invalid submenu key"

"Resetting invalid table key"

"Resetting invalid custom function call"

If it's clustered within this general category of messages, my only assumptions are that you had a table that was deleted, but left traces of the data behind, or just general file structure (not the database structure).

Hope you find something a bit more specific!

• 8 months later...
Deleting and re-creating the table giving the error resolved the issue. Database stopped crashing also.

Deleting a table will break links to fields. In a moderately complex solution this could be weeks of work to fix.

Do not delete tables. Create backups.

This topic is 4113 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.