Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Undocumented Feature: Get ( UTCmSecs )

This topic is 4371 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Playing devils advocate.

If the code was stumbled upon, is undocumented, and doesn't even appear as a function or feature in the help or listed as a functions, why would you risk using it in one year permanent solution, betting that it might be implemented in an update to version 12?

Lee

To answer the devils advocate, I think the key word there is "permanent." Sometimes we're willing to trade stability of a feature for some other value, such as convenience. In the case of Get ( UTCmSecs ), I can use Java's System.nanoTime() for sub-second timestamps, but then I need to have and use ScriptMaster, which creates a dependency and doesn't work for FileMaker Go. I can open a page with the current UTC in a webviewer and scrape the contents, but a Get function is so much simpler.

Also, change is life. Folks wanting a "permanent" solution should be navigating by astrolabe rather than GPS — you never know when those satellites will fall out of the sky. This analogy is extreme. There is a continuum of how long we expect features' behavior to remain consistent (and available, for that matter), and a continuum of how long we need to expect a behavior to last before we're willing to depend on it for a particular application. Prototypes depend on early adopters to popularize them enough for popular demand to demand equivalent longer-term solutions.

Also, change is life. Folks wanting a "permanent" solution should be navigating by astrolabe rather than GPS — you never know when those satellites will fall out of the sky. This analogy is extreme.

You think! It is also insulting. Whatever made you think I was against change?

I apologize. I don't mean to be insulting. Only hyperbolic. I did not think or mean to suggest that you are against change, only that your stimulus for further discussion was premised on the resistance to change implied by a "permanent" solution. My point was only that permanence is asymptotically impractical, and so some level of impermanence must be accepted, at which point it becomes reasonable to accept varying levels for varying purposes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.