how to think in FM.

This topic is 4324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Think about the reports that will need to come out of the system or think about the screens that people will be looking at. Figure out what should be on those reports/screens, figure out what tables those things should be belong to...

• Like 1

Yes, there is a "special way to think". It's called database design and it would take a book to describe properly. In fact, several such books exist.

Now I'll do a very brave deed and disagree with Wim: you should not let your user-interface requirements dictate your data model. Instead, you should look at the things you are going to track and divide them into entities (tables) and attributes (fields). The most important question in this aspect is the question of cardinality: how many of Y does X have? This will probably be the most decisive factor in determining whether Y is an attribute of X or an entity of its own.

Now I'll do a very brave deed and disagree with Wim: you should not let your user-interface requirements dictate your data model.

No disagreement from me. But for newbies sketching out screens / doing some mockups can lead to thinking about what data needs to be stored and from there thinking about what table to put them in.

Decisions on the data model are done by the developer alone, never the user.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.