FM 12 Advanced 03 BUG... or is it?

ron G

This topic is 3745 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

post-72145-0-00052700-1351147641_thumb.j

I have gotten this message twice. It, of course, abruptly closes my app.

The cause is a popup that I created to select reports to be run:

post-72145-0-74003500-1351147711_thumb.j

For such a short section of script, it runs v e r y s l o w l y.

One thing that may have caused this error, is that I upgraded from 02 and then thought I might have accidentally selected FM Pro 12 03 instead of FM Pro ADVANCED 03. So, I downloaded and installed the upgrade a second time. Could this have screwed with FM 'internalss' somehow?

During the second installation, I got the message that the install program could not find a valid version of FM but after selecting my Filemaker.app several times, it proceeded and seemed to install correctly.

Or it could be a bug in the upgrade?

I would like to explore everything else before I uninstall and reinstll FM... Or, is that the only possible cause?

Use the script debugger to determine whether the script is being launched multiple times, which can happen if it's using a script trigger, or whether it's somewhere calling itself and causing an infinite loop.

Use the script debugger to determine whether the script is being launched multiple times, which can happen if it's using a script trigger, or whether it's somewhere calling itself and causing an infinite loop.

The situation isn't that the program is hanging. The problem is that when I sometimes make a selection from the popup to run a script, it CRASHES FM. I have to restart.

Here is an update:

I compiled my app and ran the MENU popup. Afer making about 5 separate Menu selections, ... ba boom... crash. FM is dead.

So, I bit the bullet and, using App Zapper, I removed FM 12 03. Then I reinstalled it. Running in the 'new' version, I opened my app, and made about 10 menu selections and 'ba boom'..... crash. It is dead.

post-72145-0-55464900-1351236164_thumb.j

So, I 'reopen' FM and after making about 30 menu selections... everything works as expected.

The inconsistency is making me nuts. Got any ideas? I will gladly send you the DL link to the app if you want to see it.

Thanks for reading

Ron

Attached is the script that is run from the PopUp that I am using for a menu:

post-72145-0-59129300-1351236814_thumb.j

The second script is typical of the script that gets run when the user selects "Vitals" from the menu. All the other scripts are almost idential to this one.

One of the things that perplexes me these two scripts are incredibly simple. But they blow up FileMaker.

Second, FileMaker should be getting thousands of notices that this phenomena is happening... but apparently they aren't?

Maybe I should uninstall FM again and NOT get the 03 upgrade... hmmmm..

Hi Ron,

It might be your file. Run Recover on a copy of your file to see what is reported. Never use a recovered file; use it only for diagnosis.

Also create same script in new file and see if it crashes.

Hi Ron,

It might be your file. Run Recover on a copy of your file to see what is reported. Never use a recovered file; use it only for diagnosis.

Also create same script in new file and see if it crashes.

Good ideas. Recover did not seem to 'fix' anything. Next I will recreate the scripts in a new file and see what happen..... Thanks for the ideas.post-72145-0-33417700-1351269759_thumb.j

After selecting the popup menu about 5 times it happned again.

This is the error explanation generated:

post-72145-0-66313000-1351270138_thumb.j

I am definitely NOT a java programmer but I read this to indicate that I have a problem with Java. Yes?

Oct 26, 11 am Pacific Time

Here is the latest. I uninstalled FM 12 Adv 03 and reinstalled FM 12 Adv 01 off my cd. Then I ran the program and clicked the 'Menu' popup about 30 times... No problems... So far.... At this point it looks like the 'bug' is in the 03 update. But, that begs the question "If the bug is in 03 why doesn't this board have a thousand postings about this situation;?

???????

Oct 26, 11 am Pacific Time

that begs the question "If the bug is in 03 why doesn't this board have a thousand postings about this situation;?

That is a good question. I would like to hear from anyone else that has had a similar problem. Also, you never answered my initial question. HAVE YOU MADE A BUG REPORT at FileMaker Inc.?

Hi Ron, I am not near a system and can't test until tomorrow. It sounds like something more isolated or we probably would have heard but then again 12.0v3 is still very new. You can always post to FMI's bug list here otherwise I will try to test when I return. I am always interested in oddities. Speaking of which ... anyone hear from Soren? I miss him!

FMI Bug List

http://forums.filemaker.com/hives/1eea103f05/summary

:-)

WOW. Your post wasn't there before I posted Lee! I guess this iPad hadn't been refreshed!

LOL, you keep asking why there aren't 'thousands of postings about this' and we've asked if you have reported it. Maybe the reason nobody has reported it is because they are handling it same as you ... ;^)

LOL, you keep asking why there aren't 'thousands of postings about this' and we've asked if you have reported it. Maybe the reason nobody has reported it is because they are handling it same as you ... ;^)

Yes, I did report it.

Maybe I overlooked it, but I never saw it mentioned in this thread:

Did you try to run the script(s) with Script Debugging on?

Yep. No problems reported.... until it 'blows up.'

Are you running any third-party plug-ins? These may be the problem.

It seems more and more like the problem I am experiencing is isolated to me.

As for 3rd party plug-ins, the app that blows does have a 360 works 360Works_ScriptMaster.fmplugin. Do you know anything about v3 compatibility problems with this plugin??

post-72145-0-32323900-1351495806_thumb.j

(I suspect I will have to: update to v 3 and disable the plugin to get confirmation to this :hmm: )

But, I run the same plugin in a different app without incident. (Membership app). Plus, the 2nd app (that blows up) does so even without running the plugin... or, do plugins get 'loaded' in memory on startup and then sit and wait to be executed? How does that work?

post-72145-0-80908000-1351495892_thumb.j

Are you running any third-party plug-ins? These may be the problem.

I've been in contact with 360works and have sent them my app. This is the report:

post-72145-0-92323300-1351620656_thumb.j

It looks like the problem is with Filemaker's 03 update.....

Thanks for following up on this Ron. I was unable to replicate but sometimes it takes many people testing different systems and OS combinations to pin it down. I think, for first time since 6.0v4, FM will need to come out with a v4 updater for one of their versions. There are simply too many bugs to leave it as is.

I think, for first time since 6.0v4, FM will need to come out with a v4 updater for one of their versions. There are simply too many bugs to leave it as is.

There is a v4 update for FMP 11 Mac OS X.

Thanks Vaughan! I was thinking on the Windows side for some reason (probably because I work more in Windows). We could have used an 11 v4 updater as well for our pop-ups.

It seems that this v3 is hitting us both equally with issues which shows they love both platforms equally. :jester:

Question: " Does FM know about this bug? Should I post it in response to this posting? (I know the forum doesn't like multiple postings on the same thing

This update addresses issues regarding layout design and rendering, printing, plug-ins, scripting, container fields, portals, and more.

post-72145-0-42437300-1351754013_thumb.j

I'm unclear what you are asking, "Does FMI know about this bug?" I thought I saw your posting over on FileMaker Report An Issue. And on post #18 you said you reported it to FMI. That is the only place in the universe where we might hear confirmation from FMI although the quality of their response is usually anti-climactic. That forum is where you can read about bugs and report them. If you do not get confirmation after you post, you can bug them by posting on the thread again.

Am I misunderstanding your question? :-)

Question: " Does FM know about this bug? Should I post it in response to this posting? (I know the forum doesn't like multiple postings on the same thing

I'm confused by your post. :(

You stated in an earlier post (#18) that you HAD reported it (Although I don't know why we had to ask you so many times before you admitted it.) :(

Please do not start another topic about this, just keep it here.

The FMForums is not part of FileMaker Inc, and any communication you want them to have, needs to be sent to them direct.

As a side note, I don't know of any one at FileMaker Inc, that even reads the FMForums.

Lee

I'm confused by your post. :sad:

You stated in an earlier post (#18) that you HAD reported it (Although I don't know why we had to ask you so many times before you admitted it.) :sad:

Please do not start another topic about this, just keep it here.

The FMForums is not part of FileMaker Inc, and any communication you want them to have, needs to be sent to them direct.

As a side note, I don't know of any one at FileMaker Inc, that even reads the FMForums.

Lee

Lee,

Your confusion probably centers around different interpretations of what "report it to them..." means. Since I am not in regular contact with FM and since you did not define what "report it to them" looks like, the definition of what the 'behavior' of reporting is left to my definition.

To me it looks like I went into the FM forums and created the question and resulting thread. What does the behavior of reporting look like to you? :logik:

Ahm, I supplied the link in 12 but I realize I also said I would try to test but I couldn't - I was away from computers and only tested quickly on one windows box. And someone posted about it over on FileMaker Forums Report An Issue. Regardless, you are communicating and that helps everyone who searches for same issues. But FMI needs to be told. As Lee says, FM Forums (and all the other forums) aren't FMI. :)

Anyway if you haven't posted on that thread I provided in Post #12 then please do so. :yep:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ron, :smile:

I am keeping my fingers crossed.  With the issues being reported, I can't imagine NOT coming out with v4.  But then ... that is what I thought about 10 and 11 (Windows) as well. :hmm:

I think I got it working in v 3!!!!

I had a much more complicated application that worked as expected.  Other people have not registered the same complaint (that I know of).  So, the error must be in my app somewhere.  But, the script that causes the error runs without error in debug?!  So, opened the menu script and copied it to the clipboard.  Then I created a 'new' script and pasted that code into it.  I reassigned the script trigger to the new script and it works.   

Does this mean that I / FM created a corrupted script?  Has anyone heard of that?

Correction.  It worked when I made the popup selection about 50 times.   Just a few minutes ago it blew up again!  I just tried this app on a Windows 7 machine and it worked perfectly. (so far)

If so, this situation begs the question "Is it OSX 10.8.2 ?  Is FM 'rated' to run with 10.8.2?

Here is a YouTube video of the crash:  http://youtu.be/e4YuKfL6CcU

Back to v 1 

======================

Here is the latest error readout:

Process:         FileMaker Pro [81585]
Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.advanced12
Version:         12.0.3 (12.0.3)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [174]
User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2012-11-17 01:20:26.938 -0800
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          171198 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           6
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  8664 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   4
Anonymous UUID:                      A9C064AE-41AE-F9A9-2AF2-299B873AE405

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000038820207

VM Regions Near 0x38820207:
    __LINKEDIT             0000000038313000-000000003842b000 [ 1120K] r--/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Frameworks/libxalan-c.dylib
-->
    __TEXT                 0000000040000000-0000000040006000 [   24K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Frameworks/libxalanMsg.dylib

Application Specific Information:
Java information:
 Exception type: Bus Error (0xa) at pc=000000000411ca49

Java VM: Java HotSpot Client VM (20.12-b01-434 mixed mode macosx-x86)

Current thread (000000001a1ea000):  JavaThread "Thread-1" daemon [_thread_in_native, id=-1396413912, stack(00000000bf800000,00000000c0000000)]
Stack: [00000000bf800000,00000000c0000000]

This topic is 3745 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.