FileMaker gives error for Thunderbird email client?

Justin Close

This topic is 3062 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have run into a problem when trying to send an email from FileMaker.

DB Client: FMPA 12.03

File served by: FMSA 12

OS X 10.6.8

Thunderbird 16.0.2

When the 'Client' option is chosen for sending an email from inside a FileMaker database, FM spits out an error:

'Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem.'

This can be from a script step, or from File -> Send -> Mail window. The email works fine if you use the internal SMTP mode for sending.

I don't use this option very often (hardly ever) and so I don't know when it might have started. A co-worker noticed it. If you change the default Mail client to Mac Mail or MS Outlook, this error message does not show up in FM.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

J

I don't think FMP's Send Mail step is compatible with Thunderbird. It only works with MAPI-complicant clients.

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/scripts_ref2.37.64.html

• Like 1

Well darn it. Someone pointed me at the docs:

Mac OS:

Mac OS X Mail or Microsoft Entourage installed to send email with FileMaker Pro.

Internet system preferences configured for use with one of the supported mail applications.

So Tbird isn't officially supported. But I know that it has worked in the past. I couldn't say with certainty that it was FM12, but I know I used it in 11. Does that make it a Tbird problem?

Any further information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Doh, cross posting time lag again! Thanks Vaughan.

• 3 years later...

Just to report that this is still a problem. I tried Airmail 2 and the latest Thunderbird and got the same error when trying to use Sendmail in Filemaker.

I would use Mail.app but it refuses to select a signature when run from Filemaker Sendmail. A nightmare for the client who wants to automate an invoicing run. I've tried Mail rules, setting default signatures, setting the signature with Applescript, but nothing has worked. Looks like I am stuck with doing it all in HTML which is not my forté.

Does anyone know if there is a mail client other than Mail.app which will work reliably with Filemaker 13?

This topic is 3062 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.