Sync database via Itunes or is there a better way

This topic is 3074 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ok another noob question:

I have a small data base that i have created and want to be able to go around with my ipad and fill in the data, take pics and then get back to the office and have it synce with my original database, updating it with my most recent data.

Is this possible threw itunes?  I know I could pull the file back and forth threw itunes but can you sync it automaticly?   Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help.

It is not a trivial thing to 'sync' an offline system with a master file. There are many considerations, such as,

1. what if user 1 edits a record in the local file and user2 edits the same record in the master? Whose edits are saved?

2. Local User1 creates an Invoice (recID 1002), user2 creates an Invoice (recID 1002). Uh oh! How are offline record IDs created so that they do not duplicate the IDs in the hosted master?

That is why syncing technology is not trivial.

You may wish to avoid copying to your iPad and use Open Remote to access the hosted file.

• Like 1

I believe I saw a whitepaper on syncing recently; i's probably available on FileMaker TechNet. If you still want to write your own syncing script, I would recommend reading that and only proceeding if you completely understand it.

• Newbies

HI,

I think we should allocate temporary ID on the device and when it copied down to Master db a permanent id should be given to it (still retaining temporary id for reference).  As  duplicate information is possible on both ends, an acceptance process should be in place before merging the data into the master data.  But this is not simple.  How it is handled now , there should be someone out there doing this already without use of 3rd party plugin.  Please share your thoughts...

regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Newbies

I am currently setting up another generic synchronisation solution. The installation is straight forward and can be accomplished within 5-10 minutes. At the moment the product is still beta, but I would appreciate your inputs and feedback: "FileMaker synchronisation without the need for a FileMaker Server or any plugin (it can be also used with runtime solutions and FileMaker Go), please visit: http://www.filemaker-sync.com/". 

This topic is 3074 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.