Clear the relationship window clutter

This topic is 3428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there,

The relationship window to me remains 'a thorn in the eye' (it's a flemish/dutch saying not sure it exists in english ;-) ).
When having a lot of relationships - which you mostly have - the window is a disaster to me as well viewing as for printing.  A window forest in which you get lost sooner or later.

So here's my request for clearing the relationship window clutter:

•    give us bottom tabs (see my attached drawing) : which would allow us to have different relationship windows (like the sheets in excel) ideal to organise relationships
    •    give us a relationship list view (see my attached drawing). A window with a list that contains:
- a dropdown in which you can choose the table you would like to view the relationships of (or select all if you want to view all relationships and search by sorting)
- columns you can sort on:

* from table (the table you've chosen in the dropdown)
   * to table (field in the related table)
   * from field (the field in the table you selected in the dropdown)
   * criteria (the kind of relationship: =, >, <,...)
   * to field (the field in the related table)
   * relationship name
- a button/icon that brings you to the relationship in the graph to view it in it's whole

This would be a huge help.

Maybe I'm not the first to think of this I haven't browsed the forum really thoroughly but just wanted to share my idea with you folks.  Hope you like it, feel very free to comment  :-)

Kind regards,
Michèle

post-55885-0-30505600-1363427524_thumb.j

post-55885-0-98960200-1363427531_thumb.j

You're not alone Michèle. I agree that we need more tools for the RG. I use the text tool to create a map of the TOGs in the upper left corner that correspond to how they are situated in the RG. It helps a bit and certainly helps other developers who pick up from or share the project with me. I wouldn't count on getting a list view of relationships again (FM6), but perhaps the tab interface may be adopted.

My wish is to return to the RG scrolled to my last position. Many times I click OK..and need to go right back in. How helpful would it be to not need to scroll again to find my TOG.

My wish is to return to the RG scrolled to my last position. Many times I click OK..and need to go right back in. How helpful would it be to not need to scroll again to find my TOG.

A hint to help navigate, it won't save the last position you were at but will help you get to a location quickly.  

Create a new occurrence and name it with only one letter associated with the area you want to go to, such as ccccccc for Contacts.  Place this occurence in the location on the graph you want to return to.  Now when you open the graph, just hit the c key a bunch of times and the graph will navigate to that occurrence.  I do this on all graphs standardizing around the main table occurrence first letter so I can go to product structures in any file by pushing p many times, etc.  Just another work around for something that should have been placed in this software years ago....a find for table occurrences.

• 1 year later...

a thorn in the eye

I think we say "a thorn in my side"  though a thorn in my eye sounds much worse. 

We had relationship lists before Filemaker v.9, though not with all the nice features you suggest. 

This topic is 3428 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.