I make changes... not seen immediately

This topic is 3980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This has been happening for a long time, we usually just put up with it.  Closing the file and re-opening it will show all changes, or just wating for a while. 

If I add a button or a graphic or make any sort of layout change, it can take a long time for users to see it at their desks.  Recently, I added a 'dashboard' feature so that invoices are counted up and put in categories of 'today', 'this week', and 'this month'.  If I open two windows on my desk with an invoice in one and the dashboard in the other, changes to the invoice in terms of status, date, etc will result in instant changes on the dashboard.  The changes don't show for others on the network for some time... hours maybe.  Is there something I can add to the code or some change in the network or server that I don't know about to make changes propagate more quickly to the user desktops?

FM Server 12, and Filemaker 12 Clients.  All Mac.  The Server is a Mac Mini running OSX Server.  (everything is new except the problem)

thoughts?

This shouldn't be happening; you should not have to wait any length of time to see these chanegs at all.

Be sure you're not using stored calculations.

Beyond that, this could be a network or a server issue.  Please tell us how your server is configured, especially the amount of RAM allocated to cache.

Steven

Thanks Steven, I was thinking the same thing... "this shouldn't be happening".  There's definitely something up with this configuration.  A big clue here is the ability to make the dashboard work as it should *here*, but not *there*.  The calcs are unstored, that was critical to the proper operation of a dashboard generally, and it's working perfectly... you know... except for the odd behavior i've put forward.  I'll take a look at the configuration and let you know what I find.

I think this just turned into a different question.  I setup this server back in February.  Wrote the userid and password for the admin console in my book and installed Server 12 and setup the scheduled backups.  All is working fine.... you know... except for the lack of 'instant update-ness' mentioned above. 

I was going to look at the Server configuration so I could answer Steven's question, but I can't login.  It doesn't like the Admin name and password I wrote down.

so... do I need to re-install the server to establish a new Admin & password?

so... do I need to re-install the server to establish a new Admin & password?

No. See the information from http://thefmkb.com/6989 about resetting the credentials.  Try to close the files first by using the Command Line if you can.  Although it may not let you if you've lost the credentials.  Wait until a full backup runs if you can in case there are any anomalies with the reset process.

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

aaaaaand we're back.

got the Server reinstalled and I have access to it again.

The answer to the question about Cache settings... the default 128MB is what I see along with 125 simultaneous files.  (i could change that to about 5 if it helps)

This topic is 3980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.