Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What APPs do you use without fail?

12 posts in this topic

What apps do you use without fail?

We all use a lot of applications but which one's do you fire up everyday without fail?

This is just a starter conversation. If we find a program like "Evernote" is super popular, we can break those out into distinct topics and share how we're using it.

Me first! Everyday I fire up the engine by opening:

2 people like this

Text Editor (Sublime Text or Notepad ++ )

Pixie (PC color selector)

It would be nice if we could check the ones we use (turn it into a survey) and then you can really see which categories might need special addressing.  Just another idea.  I use most what you listed except Characters (drat - it looks great but appears to be Mac only). 

Interesting topic!  Here is my list of apps that are always open:

This one isn't open all the time, but super handy for documenting that new feature you just added to your client's database - client's love it!

• CamStudio Portable - with the CamStudio codec for high quality low file size videos after conversion to H.264 mp4

Oh!  We need to track this in a database!  I wonder if any of us know of a good one we can use to put on the list! :jester:

But seriously, by Type of application and then the brands we like most.  Oh, I can't help always trying to categorize the universe ... it is a curse.  I just found CamStudio few weeks ago, Dan!   And I'll check out portable - good idea.

Edited by LaRetta

I was thinking of Desktop apps, so I forgot to mention Feng Office. I use it like most people would use Basecamp; for project management and client portal.  I like that it's open source which allows me to host it myself and tweak the code if I want.  I specifically love the infinitely nested tasks and ease/speed of task creation.

Also, a few notes on Zim Wiki: I think I use it somewhat like others are using Evernote, except I don't get the integration with web/other devices feature. I use it like a daily journal, so I keep notes from phone calls with clients, tasks (will either be completed within a day or two, or moved to Feng Office), and especially for brainstorming where I write out a problem/task, then write out the different ways it could be resolved, then narrow down to which one I think would be best and why.

I use many of the apps already mentioned, but I've also found these indispensable:

ShareMouse — I spend most of my day at a multi-computer workstation, which would be an ergonomics nightmare if I had to use separate input devices for each machine.

JITouch — Because why should anyone settle for a 2-, 3-, or even 10-button mouse when they can have an infinity-button mouse?

Divvy — Who doesn't like organized windows?

TweetDeck — Everything started going downhill after Twitter bought it, but it's still the only app presenting social media in a format that matches how I think about it.

ClipManager — Copy & Paste is the unjustly neglected sibling of DRY programming.

On iOS:

FMP Ref — It's not actively maintained and so is no longer comprehensive (are you listening, CNS?), but what it does have is still mostly accurate, and much faster to navigate than FileMaker's documentation or any available third-party reference book.

Eternity — I haven't found an app that's good at tracking both what I need to do next and how long it took me to do what I've already done, but I've settled on this for the latter for now.

Colorblind Vision — For getting a quick idea how colorblind users might see a layout I'm working on.

WOW! Awesome comments!! Sorry, it took me a bit to catch up. This is a fantastic start. I already see things I want to check out. I hope you all do too.

This is the brainstorming stage of this conversation. Let's keep tossing things up and we'll find the natural way to start categorizing and making this information more structured. All things start with a beginning. 

Thanks for the posts!! 

Looking left to right on my dashboard...

FireFox, FileMaker Advanced 11, Outlook, FileZilla, Remote Desktop Organiser, Skype, Cmd Prompt, Office, 4 different VPN connections...

Teleport  A KVM switch without the M  - must have for multi machine workspace.

SecondBar Adds a second menubar on your other connected display saves mouse miles any way you can get them.

LauchBar - quick app switching - and good built in calculator. 

Shade  Quickly hide all the desktop clutter - especially handy when you doing show & tell via a screen share.

Hazel  This little helper keeps track of downloads and the rules setup it moves them to appropriate folders - keeps my download folder manageable. Keep all my .fm12 files in their folder - even have a rule to label (color) files that are over a month old.

Its not really an app - but did you know you can option click on the SPEAKER icon in the menu bar to quickly change the input/output.

Also for when I want to consume some larger blocks of text or reading I highlight the text and use mac's text to speech to have it read to me. (option click on selected text - under Speech...)

And another way is to copy a block of text and pasted it in to to read the text one word at a time - If you have a lot of text to get thru you can read pretty quickly over 350 WPM - I find i have better concentration and retention of the documents. 

(although the last too don't do too well with technical text with lots of code) 

Here's my list:

It's important to note that I do not keep all these open at once on any machine, and especially not on the development machine.

On development machine:

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced

Admin Console (as needed)

Cisco Anywhere VPN (as needed)

JoinMe (as needed)

Remote Desktop

TimBukTu for Windows

MS Word

MS Excel

Skype (as needed)

On large screen iMac:

Admin Console (as needed)

MS Word

MS Excel

Skype (as needed)

Cisco Anywhere VPN (as needed)

Text Wrangler

iTunes Jazz Stream

On the FileMaker Server machine:

NotePad (as needed)

Win FTP client (outbound, as needed)

On the two test network machines:

I'd go on, but I'd get into trouble.

this is one of those things where we could apply a shared concept, and see which are the ones most used here.

- Evernote:

for almost anything: taking notes, archive scanned documents, archived websites favourites, links, share images via links on emails...

- Basecamp:

When I work in a project wth more people no doubt Basecamp is the champ I love the New Basecamp. FYI we were working like two months long on Asana and at the end we decided to move to Basecamp... was such a big releaf... what a difference..!

- Firefox:

Don't use Chrome on your Mac... or your Mac will slowwwwww dowwnnnnnnn :) (known in internet)

- Apple Mail of course

- Final Cut Pro X

- Pixelmator or Photoshop

- TeamViewer por Remote Supporting my customers

- Audio HiJack for recording meetings online

- Transmit for FTP

- iShowHD for recording self-made tutorials

- Skitch (from Evernote)

- My iPad 4 for reading articles, webs, pdf, books... very easy on the eyes thanks to Retina Display, is like reading on paper.

- Dropbox is always open, I save all my documents there.

- EyeTV... yes I'm one of those guys that work and watch TV at the same time (just an hour or two) on the same screen :)

- ... listen to wonderful music stations and yes I pay the suscription... worth every penny.

- At night sometimes a film on Nexflix

- for mindmapping my ideas.

- Aperture and Flikr to manage my pictures

- my iPhone

- And my Database and Web Development tools.. :)

well, seems a bit dusty here and  before we have spring… ;-)

TextExpander - couldn't live without it anymore…

Jumpcut - a lightweight clipboard manager

IPSecuritas - "IPSecuritas is the most advanced, yet free IPSec client for Mac OS X"

Skim - "Skim is a PDF reader and note-taker for OS X"

EasyFind - "Spotlight is great, but sometimes you need something more specialized" and i can' t agree more…

Spot Color - opens the color palette independently from an app

Dilo - desktop app for to quickly look for a translation

SparkleShare - THE drop box alternative!!!

DataURLMaker - as the name says…

Simple Floating Clock - a good reminder how the time drops by…

Blotter - "Present your iCal calendar events and reminders right on your desktop"

The Unarchiver - "The Unarchiver is a much more capable replacement for "Archive""

although some of them were updated a while ago they still do their job quite fine…