Storing and sharing content in container fields on local network

This topic is 4007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the best way to store images in a container field is if I would like to do the following.

- Have the images be stored outside of the database

- be able to access the images with and iPad or iPhone

I'm setting up a wordpress to ecommerce store that will grab images from the filemaker records and post them to the WP server.  My thought was that having the images outside the database i.e setup through the 'manage container' dialog, would be easier for resolving to the file path for the image.  

This method gives me good response on one machine, and If I add the images to a network drive I can access the database and images over a network. Also no problem.

However, if I want to access the database on an iPad or iPhone, the only way I can get the images is by adding them as a 'reference only'.  

How can I can get the best of both worlds?  I Don't want to store references of images, but I also would like to have access to them through an iPad.

Thanks!

What version of FileMaker and FileMaker Server are you using?  I'm guessing 12 based on your Manage Containers comment.

If it is 12, I believe you can store the files outside of the database, but it needs to be within specific folders. And those folders cannot and should not be accessible via the normal network means.  ( really the entire server you are running FMS on should not be accessible )

This topic is 4007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.