Privilege Set to prevent Value List modification - doesn't work!

This topic is 3948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Am I going mad?

What I'm trying to do seems like it should be very simple, though I haven't done it before. 

The database I'm currently working on has a simple value list called "Categories".  I use this list as the basis for a pop-up menu for users to select a category in each record.  I have two sets of users - the General User and the Administrator.  I want the Adminstrators to be able to edit the categories, but the General Users can only select from the existing list.

I have set up my two privilege sets.  I've set the General User set to "All View Only" in the value list settings.  I've set the Administrator set with custom privileges, and set the Categories list as "modifiable".

I've set the pop-up menu to use the Categories list and I've checked "Allow editing of value list".

It doesn't work!  Users in both privilege sets can edit the list.  I have verified that it works if you use the File.. Manage.. Value Lists route, but I don't give any of the users access to this menu.  I have considered the option of using a script to open this setting, but I want to maintain the look of my user interface and don't want the back-end to show.

If I set the privilege to "No access", it does work!  But this is no good because you can't even see the list.

Anyone have any ideas?!  Thanks in advance.

I've checked "Allow editing of value list".

And that's why it isn't working as you expected.  The UI setting is trumping the Privilege Set bit.

In my view, this is a design flaw.  It ought not to work this way; however, it does.

Uncheck the option to allow editing.

Steven

• Newbies

Thanks for the quick response, Stephen.  I was pretty sure I'd tried that, but I checked again to be sure.  It's still not working for me, even if I uncheck as you suggest - in that scenario, nobody can edit it - the Edit... option isn't there.  Like I say, it will work via the Manage menu, but still not via the list itself.  Have I missed something?!

• Newbies

I've just tried the same thing with a new database to confirm it doesn't work there either.  Could it be anything to do with other privilege settings in the set?  I've tried a few combinations, but nothing works so far...

The privilege isn't granular enough to do what you want it to do.  As soon as you enable the "Edit" capability for the instance of the Value List attached to the field, it overrides the Privilege Set bit.  As I said, this is a design flaw in my view.

If the value list is based on records in a table, you can prevent a class of users from editing or changing that. But the minute you turn on the Edit in Layout Mode, the odd results you are experiencing appear.

Steven

• Newbies

Thank you both for your thoughts.  It's not the answer for me yet though.  You may not remember, but I originally said;

I have verified that it works if you use the File.. Manage.. Value Lists route, but I don't give any of the users access to this menu.  I have considered the option of using a script to open this setting, but I want to maintain the look of my user interface and don't want the back-end to show.

I still feel this way! 

I have to say, I really don't understand the implementation of the privileges for value lists, however I'm resigned to the fact that I can't use them the way I want to.  I think, instead, I'm going to create a new table for the categories and a new layout for editing them.  I'll then simply script access to that such that only administrators can get to it.  It's a very long way round of achieving the same thing, I think.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help - I hadn't anticipated that it would come so quickly!

I'll then simply script access to that such that only administrators can get to it.  It's a very long way round of achieving the same thing, I think.

No.  Use the Privilege Set settings instead. Otherwise it is entirely possible that someone could navigate to the layout independently of your scripted action and have access to the data.

Steven

This topic is 3948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.