Allow create records but not modify

This topic is 3956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am transforming our solution to include tracking of time and materials and a communication log. I have these tables created. I need however to allow my standard users (rather then managers) to be able to enter(create a record) in the time and materials table but not be able to modify them after they have been entered. The same with the communication log. We do want standard users deleting or modifying data at a later point in time.

I am thinking to use script triggers on a layout to restrict modification. Maybe if the field has a value, revert the field. Unless there is a better way, maybe through the security settings?

Do you think I am going about this the right way?

Thanks!

The way I would do it is to use a transactional method: Instead of having them create the records directly in the table, have them fill out a series of globals, then submit those globals with a button, to have a script create the new record.

An example field list:

gText1

gText2

gText3

gNum1

Text1

Text2

Text3

Num1

They enter the data into gText1, etc...then press a button that will create the record and set the fields with the data in the globals. Then, just make sure that the layouts your standard users have access to have all the fields marked as not editable. Voila! Now they can only create, and not edit. You can further secure this through security settings, if you wish, and force the record-creation script to run on full privileges, by checking the appropriate box on the script.

The correct way to accomplish this is via Record Level Access privileges in the Privilege Set.  Yiu have two different options.  You can set the "Edit" privilege to No.  Or you can set it to 0. The former setting takes effect after the user's current session ends.  The latter setting takes effect as soon as the record is committed.

Steven

This topic is 3956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.