is this ironic or not?

pixi

This topic is 3923 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi all,

let's assume there is a text like:
"For all services available we ask for 120,- EUR per hour net of tax (we also accept German DM, the old "Mark der DDR" or the even older "Reichsmark", but all with their appropriate exchange rates) with a minimum charge of 30 minutes for each on-site visit."

now, someone (a "third party not really involved") is concerned about "accepting" "invalid currency"!

question:
1) is it understandable that the text between the brackets is meant ironically?
2) does the text between the brackets make sense at all?
3) is there any common sense or law to tell others what they could accept in return for their work?
4) how would you judge a request to remove that text?

any opinion is, as always greatly appreciated! :o)

pixi

I do not believe that an American Forum can be impartial in the response, since the dollar is continuously in force since 1785, while the German mark no longer exists.

This are my 2 cents:

1) no
2) no
3) no
4) correct
  • Like 1

My 2 cents:

Wherever you state your payment conditions and other important legal info is not the place to try and be funny.

Irony is an interpretation and you can not expect everyone to "get it".  Even if they "get it" you do not want to leave wriggle room from someone to take it literally and pay you in worthless currency.

• Like 4

Why not just post what you will accept, and a notice that you only accept that.

The several products that I have bought from Europe, have been in Euro dollars.

Once a currency has been de-monetised it is no longer acceptable as currency. The test is taking it to the bank.

The old DM may have value to coin collectors, but if you accepted them you'd have to be interested in their condition.

I agree with Wim: not a place to be funny. I initially assumed this was some sort of text parsing question. If this was in a contract I'd be reluctant to do business it shows a lack of acumen.

• Like 1

Maybe you could separately post a funny FAQ about payment options, where it might be more clear that you were joking. But as others have stated, why do you want to joke about this? Is it to weed out clients that don't share your sense of humor?

Q. Do you accept live chickens or beehives as payment?

A. No, but we will consider Star Wars action figures, if they are NIB.

etc.

This thread is, of course, bordering on the ridiculous. I only accept payment in the currency of the country in which the service is performed, or more importantly, in the country from which the invoice is issued. It's up to the issuer of the invoice to determine the currency used for payment. The currency is a part of the terms of doing business. This is not an area in which to engage in any flippancy whatsoever.

RW.

i've learnt in various ways something similar to what wim said: it's hard to get the sense of such a sentence when you don't know the person behind or you don't see it in the context. and even then, what works in german may not work in other languages!
but i didn't consider it to be that important to be the prime reason for doing business or not with the writer. i may re-think that!

so, thankyou very much for your feedback! i value that!

p.s. Vaughan, i'm sorry to correct you but you still can take the D-Mark to the Bundesbank to exchange for euros and even some shops may accept that. it still has it original value!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.