Import record in separation Model

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Aahna :-)

All work (scripting, layouts, data-entry) should take place in the UI.  Are you trying to manually import?  Or are you scripting it?  What are you trying to import?

In the UI, if you go to a layout based upon the table which will hold the records, and you select Import, it comes up with a dialog with two potential lists (source on the left and target on the right).  Have you done that part?

If you wish to import a brand new table with data, scroll to the bottom on the target side, past all your regular tables listed and at the bottom is (new database).  This will add the source file as a table AND import its data at a single time.

So please provide more information and we can help you through it.  Screen shot of where you get stuck will also help.  

• Like 2

Hi..

Thanks for reply

Actually i used vbscript ..when call it it create text file(contain path of the selected file),i m trying to import this file..

now its working if in import dialog ..put the field on the top ..then its working..otherwise its say no field is selected for

import...

now on server active x component cant create object .error occurs..i just trying to create object of filemaker application on

another m/c..please help me in this

Sorry, neither of your requests are clear to me.  Is English not your primary language?  Please try to explain the issue - providing a file will be best.  Or possibly others understand what you need and they will speak up.  We can hope.  :laugh2:

• 7 months later...

Hi LaRetta,

This is another soul who is completely baffled on the import of records into a data separated solution, which I did not built, but now have to maintain. I'm really hoping someone can help me muddle through with this.

I have to do two different kind of imports. One is to bring in new raw material data from an excel file with no match field names. The other is to clone (without records) this database in our office which has had significant changes to scripts, addition fields, etc. and import records from the other offices databases and give the newer database back to them to use.

Lets start with the first one. Maybe if I can figure out a routine to do this I can figure it out for the second type.

When I first tried to import from the excel file, I went to the raw materials data file and did an import into it, but nothing showed up in the UI file. 

After that I figured out that I needed to initially created a new record in the UI file, which sets a new serial number ID record. The record ID field on the layout is set from the logic file. The other fields, like SKU and description are set from the raw material data file.

Short of me creating a new record while in the UI file and cutting/pasting back and forth between the excel file the SKU etc. is there a better way to do this?

That doesn't quite make sense since the UI is only a display tool, unless you are using a star configuration with a single-record.  Even so, it should be populated upon opening if it is empty and even then ... you created a record in it.

I suggest you zip and attach your file or at least take a screen shot of your graph clearly showing the table occurrences.  You DO have a table occurrence of that table in your UI graph don't you?  If not, add the table occurrence there.  If it is not popping up in your list of sources then you need to go to go File > Manage > External Data Sources and add it there.  Best and easier to just attach the file.

Hmm, never heard of a "star configuration with a single-record".

I'm not sure exactly how it was built. I just did a test and found a raw material data ID that was not showing up in the UI, and went to the logic file to see if that same ID was there, which it was not. I turned off the serial number option in the logic file and then created a new record and typed in the ID from the data file. Now the details show up in the UI file.

The single table in the UI file is called "MainModuleOneRecord" so not sure if that would indicate if it is a star configuration system.

I checked to see if the create a new record via relationship was checked off in the different areas between the data and logic file, but no such luck.

When I go to the data file and create a new record there, it does not create a new record in the logic file.

When I go to the data file and create a new record there, it does not create a new record in the logic file.

And it wouldn't - not if it is a single record.  Usually, the field in the UI is a global and it is filled with the selected ID from the data file.  But I have no idea how you are structured.  We will need to see the zipped file.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the solution and of the import process; and perhaps of general FileMaker design principles.

The separation model is completely irrelevant to your question.

A table occurrence of the table you are importing into should exist within the UI file.

A layout based on this table occurrence can exist or be created in the UI file.

You can navigate by script or manually to this layout and import into the target table.

As LaRetta suggests, it will be a lot easier to help you if we can see the files. They can be a clones - no need to show us your data.

Hi, here is a copy of the file. The user name is "dev" and password is left empty. Note you must launch the file "eas_main" first out of the 13 different files.

Is there anything confidential or proprietary about these files?

I've removed the existing records.

I would like to figure out how to import new raw materials under the raw materials table, which falls under the eas_supl_mtrl_purch file (user interface portion) and it's related eas_supl_mtrl_purch_data and eas_supl_mtrl_purch_logic file. 

Eventually, I need to figure out how to do a fresh import with all of the other data within the 12 different files as well.

To import records into a table:

In the relationship graph, you create a table occurrence for the table.

If the table comes from another file, then of course first you have to set up an external file reference to that file.

You create a layout based on that table occurrence

You navigate to the layout and do your import.

It does not matter which file you do this in.

It is a commercial solution licensed from a commercial developer.

Why aren't you working with them and why have you posted an unlocked version of a commercial solution here?

We purchased the template back in 2005 and the developer is no longer supporting it or can be contacted. We had a private Filemaker developer in our local area do customization of the template for our particular business practices after we first purchased the template. It worked OK for a long while, but the fellow who did the customization, when asked if he could help out with some other changes many years on, flatly refused to work on it again (basically did not want to touch it with a ten foot pole, and I can understand why).

I've been able to do some of the simpler things, but this issue of the import has always had me stumped.

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.