FM 12- Staying logged in?

This topic is 3851 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I looked back through several pages and did not see this. If I am re-posting and someone knows where I can access a like topic and could direct me where to find it I would appreciate it.

I was simply wondering if there is a way to set up an account to stay logged in without having to re-authenticate username and password every time a user goes to access the database?

Example: Say there are three accounts 1 Admin (full access), than user 1 and user 2 who (data entry only access).

The database is set up almost as a Receptionist log, and needs to be accessed quickly in the event of a call. There are no shared devices, meaning each user will access the file from their own desktop/ipad/iphone at all times and will be using the same device every time to log in (Admin will always access from desktop1, user 1 from desktop2, user 2 from ipad1)

We'll say the Admin user has to access the database 10-20 times a day and does not want to have to authenticate their username and password every time they go to look at the database.

Is there a way to set up accounts so maybe the Admin user only has to log-in once a day? However, we still want user 1 and user 2 to enter their username and password every time.

I have looked through the FileMaker training series, and also the few books I have for reference and can't see to find how to do this. Is it even possible? If so how would I go about doing this? Did I accidentally miss the option to do this in the Security set-up?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time.

Best Regards,

Laura

Hi Laura,

How is it that multiple users are accessing the same database?  Are you using Filemaker Server, or is there a machine that is hosting the files with Filemaker Pro?  Why are the users having to re-login?  Are they closing the program or logging out of their workstation?  Is the database being hosted on FM Server -- set with a maximum idle time? 

Hello Matthew F, 

Our database is hosted remotely through an online company(datatrium), so it is actually on their server. The version used to host is FM 12 server advanced, and I do have access to the Server Admin console. I'm not sure as to "why", from what I am getting from other users is that when they leave the program it logs them out (on FM Go). So this is leaving me to assume in this instance that they are actually closing the app on their mobile deceives. I have been looking into extended privileges and have changed the maximum idle time(it was at default 10 minutes). 

Essentially, I guess what I am asking is: The users want to stay logged in via their ipad/iphone even if they close the FM Go app. They would then like to come back and not have to re-authenticate their log-in info. Example: like how a website will install a cookie to remember who you are. 

Is this possible? 

Hello David Jondreau, 

Thanks. I will look into that. However, I am not sure if that will work for those access the database strictly through File Maker Go? 

If you actually close the FIleMaker GO application, as distinguished from entering multi-task mode, then you will have to supply credentials to re-connect except under a specific and little used set of circumstances.  FileMaker GO cannot and does not use cookies or similar equivalents.

Steven

You might also try changing the security settings to not require re-login after 10 minutes on idle FM Go clients. To do this, go to the menu bar and select:  File > Manage > Security...  Then edit the Privilege Set assigned to these users and deselect the checkbox labeled "Require re-authentication after the specified minutes in sleep/background. Go only (fmreauthenticate10)".

This topic is 3851 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.