Strange behavior of Custom Menu when Dialog Box is presented to user

James Gill

This topic is 3837 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have created a custom menu set that swaps the shortcuts for "paste" and "paste without formatting" (command+v now becomes "Paste Without Formatting" and command+shift+alt+v now becomes "Paste").  This works fine except for when a dialog box is presented to the user.  For some reason, the "Paste Without Formatting" function is disabled and the only option available to the user is the normal paste command, so in essence the paste shortcut (command+v) is now disabled.

A quick search of Google returns no results, but is this an issue with Filemaker or is there a known limitation of shortcuts and dialog boxes?

I fail to see why you would swap keyboard shortcuts. It's likely that those two combinations are used and possibly reserved by FileMaker. Would you expect swapping command v and command c? I wouldn't dream of it because these combos are used by Mac OS. Even if it worked, I believe that once you're in a custom dialog box, your custom menu no longer applies. Not positive about that though.

I fail to see why you would swap keyboard shortcuts. It's likely that those two combinations are used and possibly reserved by FileMaker. Would you expect swapping command v and command c? I wouldn't dream of it because these combos are used by Mac OS. Even if it worked, I believe that once you're in a custom dialog box, your custom menu no longer applies. Not positive about that though.

I swapped the keyboard shortcuts because my users do a TON of copying and pasting between Filemaker and other programs.  Right now, this causes all kinds of havoc with pasting different fonts and styles into the Filemaker solution.  I know there are alternative techniques to cleansing inputs (auto-calculated fields that strip styles, etc) but this seems the most convenient for me and my users.

It's completely transparent for them if they are using ctrl+v and it saves me from having to go back through all of my text fields and change them to auto-calculated fields.

What if you assign the script step 'Paste [no style]' to the normal paste menu item, and make no alternative, i.e. no menu item 'paste with style'. I guess the cmd-V will be available in the dialog box. In the dialog box one cannot paste style, so there would be no problem.

@RickWhitelaw: Please read carefully before answering...

This topic is 3837 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.