Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgraded from FMPA11 to FMPA13. Problems with flags, formatting and...

jrob

This topic is 3781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Upgraded on Dec 3. Simple flag fields (yes/no) no longer visually show flag status, even though they function properly - these check boxes remain empty at all times.

The color scheme for highlights, check boxes etc has changed. The field and text formatting has also changed. Text, auto entered through scripting, now has shortened field bottoms and narrowing of text fields.

Some scripts default to the wrong tab on a layout.

These are just a few of the issues presented with the upgrade. I don't know what other issues may be found as I use the file more fully. So my question is: re-write the whole database or spend the time fixing the current one.?

So my question is: re-write the whole database or spend the time fixing the current one.?

I have not seen nowhere near the issues that you are seeing, are you using special fonts, custom themes?

As to rewrite: that seems total overkill.

Hi JR  :-)

I would look at each issue individually.  If you have yes/no checkboxes that "Simple flag fields (yes/no) no longer visually show flag status, even though they function properly -" ... then maybe it is a Webdings break?  Please see here http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/90472-webdings-font-dropped-from-13-for-mac/#entry415243.  These specialty fonts might be gone entirely from FM although now they say they are still considering the issue.

Because of the change from px to pt, some sizes changed a bit which might push a field outside a tab panel or out of a portal row and lines in reports can break http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/89967-vertical-lines-across-parts/.  

"So my question is: re-write the whole database or spend the time fixing the current one.?"

Upgraded on Dec 3 from what?  Version 11?  Version 12?  An older version?  How old is this solution?  Has it experienced a history of crashing?  Like Wim, if it is a 12 file in pretty good shape then rewrite shouldn't be necessary.  Even an 11 file (although it will have some conversion issues to address) might be a candidate for simple upgrade (but that is more iffy).

Most of the issues appear to be more cosmetic as you've noticed.  You can take advantage of the file-wide theme reformatting ... just specify one layout with the field sizes and formatting and your colours and save it as a new theme then specify change for all layouts.  You will still have some cleanup (as mentioned) but that should get you in pretty good shape.  

​I highly suggest everyone take the time to learn how to save styles, copy/paste button states and save themes.  It will save soooooo much time and make your lives easier.  And if you hit any specific issues which you can't resolve, we are always here to help you with it. 

And ... happy birthday, Wim!!   :party:

Wm & Loretta - thanks for the replies. 

1. I'm not using custom fonts or styles. Verdana, Helvetica and occasionally Arial is all that's there.

2. Yes/No checkboxes should have the letter "x" for yes and be blank for no - both yes and no are blank

3. My text height before was 20 for text size of 11. Now it shows 13 pt - still Verdana 11pt but the width of the field itself becomes smaller in both height and width - truncating the text.

4. I upgraded from FMPA 11, which ran solidly - no crashing ever.

5. I will take your suggest and see if I can clean up the cosmetics by better learning styles.

6. Not all significant issues are style related - the biggest of which are items like scripts not running the way they used to. Example: Going to a layout that has two tabs - in FMPA11 the first tab was designated to be displayed, now it defaults to the 2nd tab.

Since my issues seem not to be widespread, does that mean my initial file was written in the best way possible, even though it ran well in FMPA 11? To me that would mean a re-write in FMPA13, or should I try to get the file corrected as is? 

Sorry - first line of last para should read: 

Since my issues seem not to be widespread, does that mean my initial file was not written in the best way possible

And ... happy birthday, Wim!!   :party:

Thanks!!!  :)

Since my issues seem not to be widespread, does that mean my initial file was not written in the best way possible

No, that's too harsh.

Going from FM11 with the .fp7 file form to FM12/13 with the new .fmp12 file format is a big jump especially in the layout rendering.  So these things are not FM13 related, they are related to how the layouts are converted from the old file format to the FM12 file format.  FM takes your layouts and tries to come up with as close a match as it can in the "classic" theme, but it is not perfect.

A lot of this was covered when FM12 was released so you should read back through the old posts for good info on that.

This topic is 3781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.