Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thejeraldo

Web Direct Questions

5 posts in this topic

I have a few questions about the new Web Direct, I am new to FileMaker and has only been using it for development in 2 months. We have acquired FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced recently but without a server. Now from what I understand is you can CWP with FM 12 but will need a server. You also need FileMaker Server if you go with WD too right? And which one is better? I was trying to test Web Direct in FileMaker Server 13 Trial but is having no luck since I am having a "Database not available" error whenever I try to open my database or the sample one. Can anyone help me out with this?

We can't tell you whether WebDirect is better than CWP without knowing a lot more about what you are trying to achieve both in terms of functionality and number of users.  They are also two different skill sets: WebDirecit is strictly FM wherewas CWP is your choice of server-side (PHP, .NET, Ruby,...) and client-side scripting (javascript and html5,...).  So there is a knowledge investment there.

WebDirect promises to reduce the development cost compared to CWP but the deployment cost is likely going to be higher (licenses, hardware,...).

As to the error: check the logs first.  Make sure that the FMS admin console reports that the files are available and that the web server and the web publishing part of FMS are running.

Wim Decorte pretty much summed up the overview of the difference between CWP and WD.

Regarding the error, check in your file's security settings that at least one privilege set has WebDirect enabled.

Go sign up for Filemaker TechNet and then purchase the Filemaker Developer Subscription.  You both the latest copy of FMPA, plus development copies of both FMS and FMSA that you can use.  It's well worth the 99 bucks per year, plus you get access to the Developer forums.

I just had a similar error "Database not available" when I switched my FMS13 deployment from one machine to two.  (First uninstalling on the single machine, then installing on the worker, then reinstalling in the master, which was the original single)  After finishing the deployment assistant, I was able to connect to the server with FMP client, and I was able to see the WebDirect homepage when connecting to the new worker, and all the databases appeared as they did for the previous deployment.

However when I tried to open one, I got the "not available" error.  Rebooting the servers didn't help, so next I edited the deployment using the admin console.  This time I entered the IP address of the worker machine instead of the DNS name, and after finishing the redeployment, all seems to be working.  So anyway, if you have a 2-machine deployment, check on that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Franco Pagano
      Mac Yosemite, Fmp adv 15.02, safari
      The same layout and the same pop over:
      As you can see the option list in a Global field has different look, with the client look good, on web direct is a garbage.
      What i can do?
      Many thanks
      WebDirect

FMP

• By ferret
      Hi, 
       I wrote a script in FM Pro, which reads a list of files from given directory, searches through a set of records, and uploads each file into a container field of a matching record (the matching occurs by file name = unique record id). The script works great.... in FM Pro.... but not in Web Direct  I need your help in finding a solution for Windows system.
      Thank you!

• By Productive Computing, Inc.
      San Diego, CA - January 12, 2017 - Productive Computing, Inc., a Platinum member of the FileMaker® Business Alliance, is proud to announce the release of its first server-side plug-in - FM Books Connector Online Edition version 2.0.1.0.  This plug-in is now compatible with FileMaker Server 14 -15 for Mac and Windows. 

The FM Books Connector Online Edition plug-in connects FileMaker with QuickBooks Online and enables users to push and pull contacts, invoices, and other sales transaction information. A FileMaker and QuickBooks integration eliminates double entry and provides financial data to staff without multiple people accessing sensitive QuickBooks company files.

Version 2.0.1.0 includes an updated demo file to introduce and familiarize users and developers with the new server functionality, a new video for step-by-step instructions on how to install the plug-in on the server, and updated documentation for easier development and integration.

"We embarked on a mission to create a QuickBooks Online server-side plug-in so that users could streamline deployment and explore truly mobile options. By utilizing the server-side plug-in to handle the processing, users on FileMaker Pro, iPad, iPhone or WebDirect have the ability to shuffle data back and forth to QuickBooks Online without having to install a client-side plug-in." Marc Larochelle, Chief Executive Officer, Productive Computing, Inc. 

With a Server license, multiple users can now post to QuickBooks Online from a desktop with FileMaker client, from a web browser using FileMaker WebDirect, and from an iPhone or iPad via FileMaker Go.  The server-side plug-in allows users to capitalize on the mobility of QuickBooks Online. Sales staff, bookkeepers, or any employee can push a transaction from FileMaker to QuickBooks from the office, on the road, or working remotely from home.

Additional benefits of a Server license include:
      - Added convenience of only needing to install the Server plug-in on one machine
      - Unlimited users on one server
      - Ability to connect with multiple QuickBooks Online company files 
      - Faster processing times than client-side plug-ins

The FM Books Connector Online Edition plug-in is available for an annual rate of $200 for a single user (client side) and $450 for a Server license. The Server license comes with a free copy of the single user (client) plug-in to allow for development and authentication with QuickBooks online. For more information on the FM Books Connector Online Edition plug-in and system requirements visit www.fmbooksconnectoronline.com or call 760-510-1200.

FileMaker Pro Support and Plug-in Integration:

Do you have database enhancements you would like to have programmed?  Want help getting a plug-in professionally installed into your FileMaker solution?  We can help!

The process is easy - complete our online Request For Quote form (RFQ) or call us directly at (760) 510-1200 and one of our certified developers can work with you on improving your solution today.

About Productive Computing, Inc.

Since 1996, Productive Computing, Inc. has been helping its customers become more efficient and profitable by implementing custom software solutions using FileMaker Pro. Utilizing FileMaker Pro as a rapid application development tool, their certified FileMaker developers can create custom applications that a business can run on their Windows or Macintosh desktop computers, in a web browser, on an iPad or iPhone or shared simultaneously on all of these platforms.

Productive Computing, Inc. also produces Core4 CRM and Core5 Starter Edition, two off-the-shelf productivity solutions designed to automate your workflow, as well as a suite of FileMaker Pro plug-ins that allow FileMaker Pro to integrate with third party applications including Outlook, QuickBooks, Apple Contacts and Calendar, PDF forms, digital signatures, and biometric fingerprint scanners.

In addition, Productive Computing, Inc. is a full-service FileMaker Pro hosting company. FileMaker hosting services allow customers to host their own FileMaker Pro solutions on Productive Computing servers in the cloud instead of purchasing and supporting the necessary server infrastructure themselves. These same servers also provide the infrastructure for customers who would prefer to subscribe to Productive Computing's Core4, Core5, or Vessel Service Solutions under a SaaS (Software as a Service) pricing model.

Productive Computing, Inc. is one of only a few companies in the United States to have earned the highly respected Platinum level membership within the FileMaker Business Alliance and recently won the exclusive FileMaker Business Alliance Partner of the Year award.

Productive Computing, Inc.
      950 Boardwalk, Suite 205
      San Marcos, CA 92078
      www.ProductiveComputing.com
      sales@productivecomputing.com
      (760) 510-1200

Press Contacts:
      Productive Computing, Inc.
      Keith Larochelle
      (760) 510-1200

# # #

---------------------------------------------------
    • By scrumpto
      I'm unsure where exactly to post this so I'll try it here. If there's a better place please move this but it seems to be the correct category.
      I'm looking to setup hosting for a 15 member team who will be primarily accessing the database via WebDirect. However, I'd like to connect the solution to MySQL and open up parts of the database to 50 other users via Custom Web Publishing (php).
      I'd appreciate any feedback on hosting companies who can handle some or all of the following: licensing, WebDirect, Custom Web Publishing and ODBC. I looked into FileMaker Cloud but it doesn't seem to be able to handle CWP. Someone mentioned today that you can go with AWS apart from Cloud and I'd love to hear feedback on that as well. Anything you guys can share on good and less than desirable solutions would be most appreciated.
      Feel free to recommend your own company or PM me and tell me why I'll like working with you.
      Thanks!
    • By Smef
      Hello Everyone,

I've written a PowerShell script to allow you to get a free SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt to use with FileMaker Server. You can schedule this to run every few months and renew your certificate automatically. Now there's no reason to keep using that default certificate. Check out the post for instructions!

How to Use Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificates with FileMaker Server | Blue Feather - FileMaker Developer, Android, Web 

EDIT: One compatibility note for everyone - While it looks like it's all compatible with FileMaker Pro 13-15, only FileMaker Go 15 is compatible. FileMaker Go 14 is unable to connect with these certificates installed. I'd recommend using FM Go 15 anyway, but it's something to be aware of if you're still using FM Go 14.