Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thejeraldo

Web Direct Questions

5 posts in this topic

I have a few questions about the new Web Direct, I am new to FileMaker and has only been using it for development in 2 months. We have acquired FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced recently but without a server. Now from what I understand is you can CWP with FM 12 but will need a server. You also need FileMaker Server if you go with WD too right? And which one is better? I was trying to test Web Direct in FileMaker Server 13 Trial but is having no luck since I am having a "Database not available" error whenever I try to open my database or the sample one. Can anyone help me out with this?

We can't tell you whether WebDirect is better than CWP without knowing a lot more about what you are trying to achieve both in terms of functionality and number of users.  They are also two different skill sets: WebDirecit is strictly FM wherewas CWP is your choice of server-side (PHP, .NET, Ruby,...) and client-side scripting (javascript and html5,...).  So there is a knowledge investment there.

WebDirect promises to reduce the development cost compared to CWP but the deployment cost is likely going to be higher (licenses, hardware,...).

As to the error: check the logs first.  Make sure that the FMS admin console reports that the files are available and that the web server and the web publishing part of FMS are running.

Wim Decorte pretty much summed up the overview of the difference between CWP and WD.

Regarding the error, check in your file's security settings that at least one privilege set has WebDirect enabled.

Go sign up for Filemaker TechNet and then purchase the Filemaker Developer Subscription.  You both the latest copy of FMPA, plus development copies of both FMS and FMSA that you can use.  It's well worth the 99 bucks per year, plus you get access to the Developer forums.

I just had a similar error "Database not available" when I switched my FMS13 deployment from one machine to two.  (First uninstalling on the single machine, then installing on the worker, then reinstalling in the master, which was the original single)  After finishing the deployment assistant, I was able to connect to the server with FMP client, and I was able to see the WebDirect homepage when connecting to the new worker, and all the databases appeared as they did for the previous deployment.

However when I tried to open one, I got the "not available" error.  Rebooting the servers didn't help, so next I edited the deployment using the admin console.  This time I entered the IP address of the worker machine instead of the DNS name, and after finishing the redeployment, all seems to be working.  So anyway, if you have a 2-machine deployment, check on that.