basic tables advice.

This topic is 3760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

Hope this is the correct section. I was going to try and create a system for the scout group that I run tp try and cut costs dow. I was going to have a contact information section and all badges the badges have different elements to them which when completed show badge completed. Also I was going to have a paid subs section and petty cash section. I am not sure how to go about the tables etc as tp what section to have tables for etc. Any advice on the above would be brilliant thanks.

It they are not too elaborate for your needs, then I would consider modifying the "Contacts" or "Personnel" starter solutions in Filemaker Pro. These are pretty sophisticated in their design, e.g. they automatically assign a database ID number to each person, in addition to whatever ID numbers (employee ID, SS#, or Scout ID).  This helps avoid ambiguities in the database (when a duplicate or missing ID is present). 

Since each scout can have multiple badges then you will want a separate "Badges" table.  Join this to the other table via the Contact Match Field. 

I don't know what "paid subs" means.  For the petty cash, you might want to simply have records for a Cash Box Transactions, with each record representing a cash transaction (positive amounts for deposits, negative amounts for withdrawals) and a running total. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much thats brilliant. Would I have a table for each badge there are about 50 badges and each badge has around 4 or 5 different attributes

Thanks again.

Would I have a table for each badge

Heavens no!  That would be redundant.  

Create one table "Badges" where each record is a description of each type of Badge.  Like a catalog.   Create a second "join" table called Scouts_badges that links to both Badges and Scouts.  This allows you create a "many-to-many" relationship between Scouts and Badges.  The Scouts_badges table will contain a new record for each badge earned by any one of the Scouts.  There should be field that describes its subject category (Forestry, Fishing, etc.) and thereby links to the Badges table    The table structure would be like this:

Scouts     Scouts_badges  Badges

Person)ID ==  Person_ID

BadgeName ==  BadgeName

DateEarned    Description

Requirements

You can view the badges earned by a specfic scout by putting a portal to the Scouts_badges on the Scouts table. You can even create new Scouts_badges records in this portal.  You may also put general Badge data fields in this portal for informational purposes, but do not edit them here, as the general Badge info should not change from scout to scout. 

• Like 1

Matthew.

Thanks very much that looks really good I can expand on that now. Just one more thing "I promise" I am going to make a table for the programme which contains just date and what we are doing on that night etc. When i try to make it it tells me it isnt related to any other table, can I not make a table which is seperate as it doesnt relate to any other thing. Hope this is clearly put. "I will create a scout badge for filemaker experts" :laugh2:

Thanks again.

Alan F

Hold it think it works using the file you sent. Thanks again and hope you all have a good new year.

Alan,

As a former Committee Chair, and professional FM developer, I will offer this advice: don't reinvent the wheel! I have absolutely no affiliation with them, but TroopMaster is terrific software.

I thought of writing a database for the Troop, but honestly, what happens when I leave? So, check it out: http://www.troopmaster.com

This topic is 3760 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.