Insert PDF on Go 13 producing "File does not begin with '%PDF-'" error on FM Pro container preview

This topic is 3281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FM Go to collect forms with signatures, which we use "Insert PDF" in a script to put into a container field. That has been working great with FM Go 12. On the desktop side, we have a layout where the user can look at the PDF file in a container field (set up for interactive content).

Since the move to FM Go 13, any PDF created by an iPad running 13, cannot be previewed on the desktop. The error we get during preview is "Adobe Reader - File does not begin with '%PDF-'. LocalEWH-6136-10". It should be noted that if we export the contents to an external file, the PDF is fine and it can be opened and read by Adobe Reader. It just doesn't work in the preview.

We still have many clients running FM Go 12 and they continue to work fine on both ends. This occurs across multiple databases all hosted on an FM 12 Server.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any ideas on a fix?

Thanks,

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone happens upon this, I wanted to give an update:

I have reported this to FileMaker support. They have confirmed that it is a reproducible bug between FMS 12 and FMGO 13. They could not tell me if a fix was in the works, so you can make your own assumptions there. They told me the best solution for an immediate resolution was to upgrade the server to FMS 13.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ryan,

Funnily enough, I am having the same issue, except I am not using GO13. I have a PC and a Mac running FMPA13 and a file running on FMS12.

I am currently working on putting a content management system into my solution but when I use some of the items from the content management starter solution, I get exactly the same error as you described. The strangest part is, I have opened the PDF files in a plain text editor, and I can confirm that they do indeed begin with %PDF-

I am assuming it has something to do with not being able to read that data over a network for some reason.

Did you haven to find out any other information?

• 3 weeks later...

I have not yet found a solution. My users will export the PDF file, then they will open it in Adobe PDF, resave it and then put it back into the system using either FMPro12 or FMPro13. 

I still plan on upgrading my server, but it's a big process.

• 9 months later...

I was just running onto this issue now and didn't remember the cause that i was sure to know. Seeing your posts refreshed me memory :

This old bug is occurring systematically when a v13 client is inserting a PDF into an interactive container where the file id hosted by FMS v12.

It still occurs present with last revision of both software. Thus, the only fix is to upgrade FMS. Bad, bad bug….

Bye, Fred

Edited by FredDupuget

This topic is 3281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.