Client "[client name] [IPaddress]" no longer responding; connection closed. (10)

This topic is 3558 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are experiencing regular disconnect errors, but I cannot find any information on error (10).

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

We have a PC Windows 2008 R2 server FMS 12 and up to 100 FMP clients, predominantly Mac OS 12.05, but also PC FMP 12 clients too.

Thanks

The client is supposed to send the host a "tickle" if there has been no other network activity to the host for 60 seconds.

If the host doesn't hear from a client for 125 seconds and doesn't have anything to send to the client, it will disconnect the client since this means the client has failed to send two "tickle" messages.

As for the errors: FileMaker Server will log a message like one of the following in the Access.log file when a client connection fails, assuming Client Access logging is enabled:

[Client Name, etc] no longer responding; connection closed. (10)

[Client Name, etc] no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

The (10) indicates that the 125 second timeout elapsed as described above. The (51) indicates that the TCP connection failed when Server tried to send something to the client. 

A frequent cause of this is faulty hardware, including cables, NIC cards, etc.  Is this occurring on multiple machines or just one workstation?

Steven

Thank you for your response - we were beginning to suspect network troubles; it is good to know what this particular error code refers to.

Yes this is multiple machines across the entire network, so we are looking into the switches.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I found this issue elsewhere and posed a query there as well, so apologies for the double post.

If the server is expecting a response from the client every 60 seconds, then it stands to reason that the Mac Energy Saver preferences must be configured such that "Computer Sleep" is set to "Never" and "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" is unchecked. Correct?

This would seem to be the only way to prevent the databases from being disconnected on local network machines every night, which requires them to be reopened every morning, which requires resetting Page Setup every time. I realize this is a separate issue (FileMaker "forgetting" Page Setup settings), but half of the root cause is the same.

When the machine goes to sleep, FM stops responding and sending said "tickle". That would cause disconnects.

Are you experiencing disconnects outside the machine going to sleep?

I'm verifying that now. The worst case is a remote user who was getting knocked off every 15 minutes or so at times. But not at other times. I had her adjust her Energy Saver settings to see if that resolves it.

I'm getting more grief from local network clients who are getting knocked off every night, which means they have to reopen their databases every morning. The biggest issue with that is that FileMaker (v. 13.0.v3) or Mac OS X (v. 10.9.4) - I'm not sure which - is going through it's periodic thing where FileMaker forgets the Page Setup setting whenever a database closes. We have gone through long periods where we didn't have to worry about Page Setup. But now we have to make sure to set it every time we reopen a database - otherwise, our layouts do not print correctly.

Can you pull the file down off the server ( closing it first of course )? Set the page setup the way it is supposed to be for your layouts. Place the file back up on the server.

Or what about using an opening script to set the Page Setup options on the client machine?  http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref2.37.26.html#1028361

Both good suggestions, Josh. I'll have to see if that will work with two separate offices using their own, albeit similar, primary printer.

EDIT: No luck. As I feared, setting either up for one office is useless for the other office.

Edited by steveald

Did you try the script step? If you can in some way distinguish which office they are logging in from, you can use the script step to set the Print Setup.

A few options:

1. Do you have any kind of user table that stores basic info about employees? Not a security password table, just an employee table. If they never work in the other office ( I never trust the word "never", by the way ). During the opening script, search the user table for their user or account name. See what office they work in, and set the print setup accordingly.
  2. Use a scripted print operation, and include choosing the print layout needed.
  3. Use Insert From URL to pick up their Location from Google or somewhere similar, and set the respective print setup.
  4. Give them a button to toogle it in one or more of the layouts.
  5. Get the same printer for both offices. lol
  • Like 1

This topic is 3558 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.