Record lock not releasing from portal when switching windows

This topic is 3645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have an old FM3 application for an agriculture program that has been migrated to FMP11 via FMP5.  In the app there is a record layout in one file (Exhibitor) that includes a portal allowing modification of related child records from another table in another file (Animals).  There is a button in the portal layout to take a user from the portal in the Exhibitor layout to an Animal layout in the Animals file, showing the record from the Exhibitor's portal.  The script fired on the button click scrolls the records in the Animal file to the current record in the portal, then runs Select Window to switch focus to the other layout, with the fields populated with that record.  This target layout also contains a portal to ANOTHER child table in another file (Classes), with related records for the Animal item in this layout.

Sounds simple, and this configuration works fine in the original FM3 and converted FMP5 versions, but when it was updated to FMP11 (.fp7), when the user attempts to alter records in this Animal layout, a warning dialog pops stating "This record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window".  It seems that the Animal record is still locked for modification from the Exhibitor portal and changes cannot be made to either the Animal record or the Classes table via the portal.  The current workaround for this is to run the script on a button in the Animal layout that returns to the Exhibitor layout (the reverse of the script that got us here), which seems to unlock the record.

I've looked into Commit record but that doesn't seem to work, and I tried moving the Select Window command to a script in the Animal window and calling the script from the Exhibitor file.  If anyone knows how/why the record remains locked after changing layout contexts I would appreciate any insights!

Dave

Changing layouts inside the same window will do an implicit commit, but going to another window does not.

So you need to do an explicit commit in the original window before you jump to the other file.  Once you are in the other file, a commit only works in that window, not on any other window(s).

Hi Dave, and welcome to the FM Forums,

I moved your topic from "FileMaker Pro 11" to "Upgrading & Migration” because, the General Topics are reserved for discussion of the new tools, functions and features introduced in that version of FileMaker, and not for asking How-to questions.

This topic is for help with your migration problems.

Lee

This topic is 3645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.