Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM9 Pro high cpu usage

This topic is 3639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

We have some issues with high cpu usage to be specific 25% per user on the terminal server.

Our situation.

HP ProLiant G8 with 2X Intel Xeon E5-2620 @2.00GHz and 52GB RAM This machine hosts 2 Hyper-v servers

1. Windows 2003 R2 (32Bit) 2 virtual assigned processors and 4GB of RAM assigned. This machine hosts the Filemaker Server 9 with terminal server licenses.

2. Windows 2008 R2 (64Bit) 4 virtual assigned processors and 32GB of Ram assigned. This machine functions as a terminal server with Filemaker Pro 9 installed and other basic software like Outlook etc.

We have 3 to 4 users on this terminal server and Filemaker pro is taking 25% cpu usage per user so in the worse case it is always running at 75-100% usage!

Did some testing, 3 users are using Filemaker pro and they all use 25% cpu, when I open Filemaker without connecting to the filemaker database it stays at 0% for my session, however when I select the filemaker server and it show all the databases it directly goes straight to 25% cpu usage withoud opening one.

It seems it directly locks itself to 25% cpu usage as soon as it tries to make a connection to the filemaker server. When I open a database it still use 25% and when I close the database it also stays at 25%.

Versions:

Filemaker Server 9

Filemaker Pro 9 : 9.0v3 with latest patches

Unless it is slowing down the underlying machine (and by extension, FMS) it should not be a problem.

What does the host report for CPU usage when this happens?

How many cores per processor? As a general note, I would assign more virtual processors to FMS and probably a few more to the TS instance too.

• Newbies

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your response, there are indeed some performance issues. Will change the Windows server 2003 to 1 processor and give the TS 2 or 4  more.

There are 6 cores per processor so 12 in total.

Will check what the cpu does on the host.

Will change the Windows server 2003 to 1 processor 

I think you misunderstood more.  Since you have 12 actual cores to work with, I would *increase* the number of virtual processors on both the FMS and the TS instance.

This topic is 3639 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.