How to do a calculation on an aggregate function in an ExecuteSQL statement

This topic is 3539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have very limited SQL experience and am trying to do some calculations on a SELECT statement in a local FMP database;

When I do:

SELECT COUNT(tab) as t, SUM("amounts") as a

FROM SummaryData

WHERE tab >15 GROUP BY tab

Result is:

16, -152

17, 113

18, 255

When I add in a calculation:

SELECT COUNT(tab) as t, SUM("amounts") as a, a * t

FROM SummaryData

WHERE tab >15 GROUP BY tab

Result is (invalid):

?

I have tried various combinations that seem to work on standard SQL systems, but Filemaker errors. Does Filemaker SQL not support calculations?

Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a*t as something? Don't have time to test right now. But I think it is possible.

http://filemakerhacks.com/2012/10/19/the-missing-fm-12-executesql-reference/

I tried a*t as test, as suggested Fitch, but no luck. Maybe calculations on aggregates just not work with filemaker SQL at this stage, as eluded to by Electric_Soul. 

Perhaps I'll have to load up MAMP (does it still exist??) and play with mySQL, etc.

When I think about it.......     your query must not work. On which database did your sucsseslfully try your query, where you referenced the aliases in the select  statement?

There is a processing order in sql. And this order evaluates aliases with the select statement. The selection of rows comes before that.

A simple query like this should not work either, because the where clause doesn't know w. w is being evaluated wit the select clause, and that one comes after there where clause.

select weight as w,FROM garbage
where w > 10

It has been my experience that filemaker FQL does not like it when you mix aggregate functions with non aggregate functions. If you have Filemaker Advanced you could write a recursive custom function that processes your SQL array result to arrive at the desired result.

It has been my experience that filemaker FQL does not like it when you mix aggregate functions with non aggregate functions. If you have Filemaker Advanced you could write a recursive custom function that processes your SQL array result to arrive at the desired result.

Instead of a CF you could use the VirtualList technic to do calculations on sql-aggregates.

Assuming the table VirtualList is filled with the global variable $$vl and the virtuallist column separator is "||", you could do it like this.

Let ( [

$$vl = ExecuteSQL ( 
"SELECT COUNT(tab), SUM("amounts") 
FROM SummaryData 
WHERE tab >15 GROUP BY tab"
; "||" ; "" )

] ;

ExecuteSQL ( 
"SELECT Field01, Field02, NUMVAL(Field01) * NUMVAL(Field02)
FROM VirtualList
WHERE Field01 IS NOT NULL"
; "" ; "" )

)

the NUMVAL operator is needed, if the virtuallists fields are text fields.

This topic is 3539 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.