Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RyanESmith7

pc
FileMaker Pro on FileMaker Server Server

7 posts in this topic

Is it OK if I install FileMaker Pro on my FileMaker Server? We are running FMS13 on a Windows 2012 Server (Standard). I was thinking of putting FileMaker Pro 13 on the server so that I could open up backups on occasion. Do they co-exist well?

According to the FMS 13 Getting Started Guide: 

If you are currently running FileMaker Pro on the same machine, you must quit FileMaker Pro 

before installing FileMaker Server.

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fms13_getting_started.pdf#page=9

I don't know if its good or bad, I have never had a need to install FM Pro or Advanced on the server machine.

Yes. But DO NOT open the backups directly.

Instead make a COPY of the backup you want to investigate. Don't just drag the backup elsewhere you must make a COPY. This is due to the way the backups are generated using HARD LINKS

I do it my myself but for other reasons.

Hi Ryan,

I don't believe there will be a problem with installing Pro on the Server machine.

Josh's reply relates to the installation process for FileMaker Server. Always close open Pro/Advanced applications during the installation process.

Also, if you plan to use FileMaker Pro for debugging purposes in addition to opening the backups, grab Advanced instead.

Hope this helps

-JohnAustin

Josh's reply relates to the installation process for FileMaker Server. Always close open Pro/Advanced applications during the installation process.

hehe...yeah. The reference was simply to show that Pro can be installed on the same machine.

IdealData - Great clarification.

Wouldn't they conflict, as both would try to listen on port 5003?

First, never have both open at the same time.

Second, it is possible, perhaps even likely, the FileMaker Pro will behave abnormally running on the Server OS.  However, it likely is possible to install it.

Third, pay very close attention to the comments about the backups.  Never open the backup on the machine.  Always make a copy of that backup and open the copy if need be.  You can copy it to another location on the same server machine.

Steven

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Richard Fincher
      FileMaker Inc's new licensing seems to favour multiple VMs running separate server licenses. per VM.
      I've tried FMS (actually 13.0.9 so far) in a 4GB VM with 2 cores and it seems to cope with moderate load OK.
      But I guess the real test is if you have multiple similar VMs competing for host-node resources.  Using Parallels Desktop at the moment (as that's what I know), but also considering VMWare Fusion, and regular VMWare installed bare-metal hypervisor without any Mac OS X on the host. 

Anyone else tried anything like this?
    • By koolit5665
      Good evening all,
      We are currently running FMS15 within a VM on Server 2012 R2 with no issues.
      At the moment all our databases and documents/etc are stored within the same VM and not on separate drives (meaning that at the moment our VM file is around 650GB).
      I was thinking about worst case scenario that we have to restore the server after an attack but if that happened - at the moment we'd have to roll back to the previous nights backup (potentially losing 8 hrs x 8 peoples work). If the DB's were on a separate drive/storage/etc we wouldn't necessarily lose the DB data, just the server, (which could then be copied back very quickly from a previous backup).
      What is the general consensus for storing the DB's on another device (NAS/drive/physical disc) when operating in a VM environment and how would performance be affected? I would have thought that putting the DB's on a NAS drive would be too slow and SAN's are too expensive for us (we only have 8 local users).
      The performance is great at the moment as the VM is on an SSD drive and I don't really want to lose speed as a result of moving it away remotely.
      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - we can't be the only ones with this scenario!
      Cheers,
      Rick.
    • By MoMo
      Hi all
      My server is running on FMS 13.0v9 and my clients are running FMP 12.0v4. The mismatch is due to my clients still mostly being on OS X 10.6.8. I'm having a strange issue with slowness that I was hoping to get some insight on. Here goes:
      I have a layout (named "Checkin Layout") that access a table and a few related tables. The main table has a field named "CheckedIn" which contains either a 1 or a 0. The user checks a checkbox, which enters the value "1". The auto-enter calculation is as follows:
      Case (CheckedIn  = 1 ; 1 ; 0)
      This makes it so that the value isn't ever empty, but will be either 0 or 1. Users have lately been complaining that toggling this checkbox is becoming incredibly slow. I initially tried to remove objects from the Checkin Layout, but found that even if the layout contained nothing but the field in question, toggling the checkbox was still incredibly slow. I then tried changing the auto-enter calculation, thinking that may help. I changed the "Case" function to "If" and noticed that the speed shot up immediately. However, I found that if i closed and reopened my layout, the slowness came back. After some more experimentation, I found that opening the "Manage -> Database" window and changing ANY definitions or calculations would make the Checkin Layout extremely fast, until it is closed. Then once it is opened it becomes slow again. 
      I'm curious if there is anything happening when I adjust definitions that I could do via scripting. The slowness is taking its toll on productivity, and I can't be around to mess with definitions every time a user needs to check something in. Is there anything I can do??
      Thanks in advance for your help.
      MoMo

• By BrentHedden
      I'm considering upgrading my FM servers to v15, mostly for the Top Call Statistics, but also the WebDirect features.  To save me some time and effort, has anyone used the Top Call Statistics in a meaningly way and can give a honest review of it?  Is it really helpful in any way, and if so, how?  Or is it another feature that looks great on the onset, but not very helpful once you start using it?
    • By Hammerton
      Every time I upgrade FM I lose functionality. This time, it seems that FM15 Server does not play nice with OS X Server 5. I have the latest versions of each. OS X is finding my virtual hosts just fine but installing FM15 Server breaks that. All virtual hosts display the FILEMAKER DATABASE splash screen.
      I read a long post about this problem relating to 13/15. Any new insights or workarounds for 15?
      Thanks