Why can't I duplicate the regular menu set

Charity

This topic is 3536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have looked and I want to duplicate the default menu set and then change just a few things on it.  But it will not let me.  Do I really have to create a new menu set and copy all the menu items again into it?

Thank you I updated my version.  Also we have 12 but I have been designing for over a year and versions keep march by.  this will be ready probably when 14 is out.  I can create custom menus.  in new file I open there is [standard filemaker menu] when I open custom but it has no menus in it and can't find the real one being used or if that is the real one, why is it empty.  It will not let me duplicate it but even if I could it is empty with no menus in it.

I want same as one being used with all the regular stuff and then change just few things and I guess I can't so I have to do it all manually and can't even save it to use in another file?  I have read everything in help and in this forum and it is beyond me I guess. Thank you Doug.

Hi Charity,

I remember this being discussed in the past, so I did this search duplicate custom menu and then it linked this discussion Custom Menus - where are they

Which then linked it to the FileMaker Help - Improved custom menus // search for custom menu

and this FileMaker Help - Defining Custom Menus

You mentioned that you looked at the help, but I wondered if you looked at the two I linked.

Which seems to answer your question.

HTH

Lee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This does answer it.  I had searched but even with your assistance, it was a bit buried.  Thank you for finding it for me.

"To support FileMaker Pro files created for devices such as the iPad and iPhone, default custom menus and menu sets are no longer created when you create a file. You can add custom menus and menu sets to files manually, if you want to use them in your solution files"

How difficult would it have been to leave the default custom menu set there.  

There reasoning for removing the default custom menu is senseless and they should have left it alone or at least provided a basic desktop menu set and a basic iPad menu set when they added the different layout sizes tool for iPad and iPhone.  And since we can't import a menu set that I can find, this is glaring omission.

This topic is 3536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.