Java SE 6 error in Yosemite

This topic is 3138 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

When opening FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 in OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), the application quits with the following error if ScriptMaster or SuperContainer are installed.

To open "FileMaker Pro Advanced" you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime.

The FileMaker website indicates that this is a plugin compatibility issue:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14038

Indeed, if I delete plugins from the Extensions folder, FileMaker opens without error, but as soon as a script step installs ScriptMaster or SuperContainer, FileMaker immediately quits with the same error as above.

I can follow the instructions in the FileMaker support article to install Java SE 6, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Since the ScriptMaster and SuperContainer changelogs both mention Java 7 support, is the Java SE 6 requirement necessary? Will there be updated plugins that don't require the Java SE 6 runtime?

I'm using ScriptMaster 4.205 and SuperContainer 2.896. I haven't tried any other 360Works plugins.

I have the same problem and Scriptmaster is the only plugin that this is bringing the message up. The real problem I'm having, and have had always with Java 6, is that it brings up a "exec" icon on my dock that is "not responding" and means I can't shut down the computer without force quitting it first. Force quitting under normal circumstances just pops it back on the dock straight away.

So for all this time I've removed Java 6 but I believe Java 7 isn't compatible with Yosemite and Scriptmaster doesn't seem to like Java 8 (since the message appears even with Java 8 installed).

I've tried fixing the issues with Java 6 but can't seem. The only thing that actually worked consistently was removing it. It looks like I may have to go through my database and see what scripts use Scriptmaster and see if I can figure out any work arounds so I don't need it. Java 6 is that annoying for me, which is a shame. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately there is no workaround for this. Our plugins require a 32-bit JRE . Oracle no longer provides a 32-bit version but Apple does. You can download it here http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572. Once installed that notification should stop appearing.

I'm running a FileMaker 13 Server testbed on my MacBook Air. Will installing Java SE 6 cause any problems with my FileMaker 13 Server installation?

• 6 months later...

No, you should be fine with installing Java 6.

@ryan360Works - doesn't installing a legacy plugin (6 when Java is now at v8) mean introducing unnecessary security holes?  I just upgraded to El Capitan Beta and the Java run time 6 SE was deleted on upgrade and would need to be installed again. 

Aren't 360Works going to address this?  

cjcjc01,

We are indeed addressing the dependency that the plugins have on Java 6 in Mac OS. We hope to have the new framework done soon but for now the Java 6 dependency persists. When the new versions are ready we will announce their release on all available channels. 

We still require Apple's Java 6 due to a technical incompatibility with Oracle's Java 7 and 8 releases and our plugins. We are currently working on rewriting our plugin framework to resolve this incompatibility, but it is a fundamental rewrite and is not a simple change. If security is your topmost concern, we do fully support the latest versions of Java in a Windows environment.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 3138 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.