How can copy and paste grouped items from one tab to another without making it so that all the data I enter automatically saves to every tab?

This topic is 3417 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just grouped a lot of fields together in one tab and copied them as a formatted group. I then pasted the group into all of my other tabs within my tab control. When I click onto browse mode and actually enter in data, the data is transferred to all of the fields in my other tabs, not just the one tab I'm entering data into. How do I fix this? Do I need separate fields for every single tab???

Thanks!!

post-112266-0-72018200-1415911123_thumb.

Yes you do, but rather than duplicating all those fields, I'd suggest you make a related table for "Locations" and put those fields in that table. Also add a field for location name -- which would be what's currently your tab names -- and a macro plot ID field, which you'll use to relate the two tables.

At that point, you can add a single-row portal to each tab, which you CAN copy and paste. All you'll have to do is change the starting row for each portal.

IMHO, you are using the wrong tool here. The tab control is a device for showing different layout objects at the same position, just not at the same time. It doesn't take you to a different record or to another table. It's the equivalent of folding a piece of paper.

You didn't say what your data is about, but it looks like you have many (5?) Locations to one ... (Macroplot(?). If so, you should use one portal (of one row) and 5 buttons to switch what the portal shows, for example by filtering the portal. The 5 buttons could be made to simulate tabs.

All you'll have to do is change the starting row for each portal.

For this to work, every parent record would have to have all 5 children (even if empty) and the relationship (or the portals) would have to be sorted by the location. Altogether, a lot of overhead for such a small detail.

@comment: I think you and I are actually talking about variations of the same idea. You said make a portal, with buttons to simulate tabs, and I'm saying use tabs, with a different portal row on each. I get your point about using the row number. I was just trying to come up with a quick Simplest Thing That Could Possibly Work -- and I was picturing that all 5 locations are always used, but you're right, we don't know at this point.

@stephanie: Either way, you'll use a related table to store the "location" data. And no, you don't need a separate table for each tab, but rather a separate record for each tab. E.g. macroplot #1 would have up to 5 records in locations: one for Toe, one for Bank, etc.

Hi,

Data for each Tab can be browse from 1 child table (e.g. Location) with the help of a specific marked field (let say TabNum_xn ) in Location table which hold the number for respective Tab (e.g. for Toe TabNum_xn = 1, for Bank TabNum_xn = 2 etc). Then data for all tab can be access through the same portal by using a relationship which must contain a global field in Parent table (e.g. Macroplot). Then set a trigger (OnPanelSwitch) to update the global field in Macroplot. Each time user navigate to a different tab the global field get updated and the fields in the tab shows respective data.

The portal relationship must be as following:

Macroplot::__pk_MacroplotId = Location::_fk_MacroplotId

Macroplot::g_TabNum = Location::TabNum_xn

Script (Triggering from Tab object ):

Set Field[ Macroplot::g_TabNum ] = Get ( ScriptParameter )

This topic is 3417 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.