Exceeding Host Capacity

This topic is 3390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Tim,

I'm working with the beta 2 version with a solution that contains a very complicated import routine. The routine imports a CSV file and then pushes data to various tables, creating child records as needed, while also checking the folder the original file was found in and importing specifically named image files into a Documents table. As an example, a CSV file with 18 rows ended up creating almost 600 records in various tables.

My first pass at logging all of these record creations was to commit the new records and then call the "EasyAudit - Commit - Client" script. However, when I did this, I would get repeated (i.e., 40+) dialog boxes explaining that the host's capacity was exceeded. Checking the server settings I saw that "Limit number of FileMaker Pro client connections" was checked and set to 250. "Maximum Simultaneous Script Sessions" was set to 25. I unchecked the limit option and set the script sessions option to 100, but the errors still appeared.

So I'm considering the best solution for eliminating the errors while still logging the new records.

The "EasyAudit - Import / Replace Field Contents - Client" seems to almost be what I would need. It allows the calling script to pass a list of UUIDs that need to be logged, but it also prepends the found set of records' UUIDs to that set, which isn't desired in this case. So I'm thinking that a new script might be needed, "EasyAudit - Log Multiple Records - Client". This script would accept as the parameter the list of UUIDs to log and would call the "Easy Audit - Import / Replace Field Contents - Server" script.

The other way I can immediately see to possibly solve this would be to capture error 812 (exceeding host capacity) and if it occurs use an Install OnTimer Script to attempt again after a short period of time. Perhaps the advantage of this would be that developers wouldn't need to worry about the error, but it may bring up other resource problems if timers get to be too numerous.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on my proposed methods. I'm leaning toward the first.

Also, while I was looking at the "EasyAudit - Import / Replace Field Contents - Server" script I noticed that the loop begins with the second item in the script parameter's list. I think this might be a bug. In Beta 1 the first parameter was the action to take, but that's no longer the case with Beta 2. Am I mistaken in this?

Thanks,
Chuck

• 4 weeks later...

Chuck --

Sorry for the long delay in responding to this...

Here are some thoughts. First, based on your scenario, I'm not surprised that you are hitting that 812 error. You're essentially queuing up a large number of server side scripts, which are listening for changes to the database. That's not really what the "EasyAudit - Commit - Client" was intended to do. Its purpose was to log record commits by "real" users as opposed to scripted commits.

I think you're on the right track with using the "EasyAudit - Import / Replace Field Contents - Client." It's purpose is to log bulk changes to the database. But in your case, you have a more complicated process that you want to log. What you might want to do is run your import without any logging, and when it is finished, do a baseline. That's not ideal, but it's the best that EasyAudit can offer "out of the box." (Of course, another option is to just write directly to the log as part of your process.)

Regarding the potential bug in the "EasyAudit - Import / Replace Field Contents - Server" script, I'll take a look at that when I get my head back into "EasyAudit mode." Thanks for pointing it out!

-- Tim

This topic is 3390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.