WebDirect: force [Guest] login?

This topic is 3305 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Suppose you have a WebDirect database that has both a [Guest] account and regular user accounts.  Is there any way with a special URL or JavaScript to do an automatic [Guest] login that bypasses the filemaker web direct login screen?

Basically, I want to have a Public area of the site which never asks for authentication, and a members-only are which does, but I don't want to confuse the Public by making them click the [Guest] button ever.

• Like 1

Hi xochi

I have automatic login set for Guest access, so that everyone logs in as a guest and are directed to the Public layout.

On this layout, have a User Login button that performs a relogin and displays the members-only layout.

Cheers

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HM

1. Depending on the configuration of your server, there can only be a maximum of 50 concurrent users, so my guess is that Webdirect wouldn't suit a high traffic volume site anyway.

2. My sites are low volume, so it's not an issue.

Cheers

David

Just looking at this myself .  

Would this only work in limited guest / invited to the website scenario. If it were a public website wouldn't it potentially have lots of guests and need buckets of concurrent connections?

Cheers

HM

• 3 weeks later...

I tried setting the File Options to default to [Guest] login and this solved my issue.   WebDirect will default to the guest login and won't bother the user asking which login they want.  I can then use the Relogin script later if I need to have the user switch accounts.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to setup my file that way as well but it always asks for login, what address should I use to go directly to the file, being already logged as guest? I have my db on Triple8 atm. Thanks.

If I try to go directly to the db link it says "database unavaliable" but if I got to the "fmi/webd#" it will ask for login as usual.

This topic is 3305 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.