Multiple layouts of large database

This topic is 3359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to Filemaker, which after reading this you will probably realize.  I have a database of about 200 datapoints, obviously too large to put on one layout, I want to spread it across four or five layouts.  My question is how do you do this such that the end user, using an iPad, can enter the data on the first layout screen, swipe to the second and continue data entry, and so on.  I know where the slide control is, and can put it on the layout, but how do you tie the layouts together?

• Newbies

Yes, all of the datapoints are fields in the same table.  All of the fields relate back to one particular item, so thats why they are all in one table.  I don't want the end user to have to do duplicate data entry of at least one unique datapoint on every layout in order to establish a relationship, thats why I created one large table.  I can't fit all of the fields on one layout viewable on the iPad screen, so i thought there must be a way to fill out the first layout, swipe the iPad screen and get to the second layout, fill it out, swipe, and keep going until all 4 layout screens, which is the entire table of information, is filled out.  I just can't figure out how to tell filemaker once the first layout is filled out and the user swipes, go to the second layout screen, etc.

Yes, all of the datapoints are fields in the same table.

This is almost certainly a mistake. You should post more details about what your data is really about to make sure, but I believe it's quite clear that you should have a related table for these datapoints, and make each datapoint a separate record there. Then you can use a portal to enter/view the related datapoints. The portal can be scrolled, or filtered to show only a selected group of the related datapoints.

This topic is 3359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.