How to Translate Column Names?

This topic is 3376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've got what appears to be a simple issue, but I can't find any answer to it. Here it is:

(1) I have a large table with 50+ columns, and all of the column headers are in Spanish. Call it data_table.

(2) I have another table with 2 columns. These two columns contains all the Spanish titles from the first table, and the English translation. Call it translation_table. 

(3) I want to create a third table that has all of the data from data_table, with the translated column names from translation_table. So just a new table, with the data of data_table, with the column names translated. 

This seems like it wouldn't be difficult, but my Googling around hasn't found an answer. Maybe it's a rare situation. Thanks for your help! 

(3) I want to create a third table that has all of the data from data_table, with the translated column names from translation_table.

Do you mean you want to create a new table with new, translated field names? This cannot be automated inside Filemaker: there is no mechanism for programmatic changes to the schema.

Consider exporting your data to a format that preserves field names (i.e. Merge, Excel or XML), translating the names in another application (or even in Filemaker, after importing the field names as data), then importing the result into a new table.

--

P.S. Please update your profile to reflect your version and OS.

This topic is 3376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.