FM 13 Backward Compatible with FM12?

mapsgal

This topic is 3377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have noticed that FM13 is backward compatible.

I designed a test data base with FM13 and was able to open it in FM12.

Is this deliberately built in because some clients may still be on FM12 but the designer is on FM13

Reason for this weird question is that I am testing out a 30-day free trial version of FM13.

Given that according to the rumor mill, FM14 is due out soon, I don't want to pay for the costly upgrade to FM13. 

I had hoped to be able to sign up for the monthly $9 subscription but a call to the FM sales rep clarified that the subscription is only available for those who buy multi license not lowly indivs like myself. I made the mistake of buying FM12 a couple of months before FM13 was released and I don't want to make that mistake again. So I need to hobble along with FM12 as best as I can until FM14 is released at which point I will cough up for the upgrade.

What I am wondering is if I should go ahead and design my database on the free trial FM13 with the intention of using it on FM12 until FM14 is released. FM13 has some nice features that makes designing more comfortable.

Or should I just stick to FM12 and fully design my database there?

What is the opinion of the experts?

Thanks in advance for feedback. :)

PS. I mistakenly listed myself as intermediate. I should be listed as Beginner as I have had previous FM experience prior to FM12 way back at the time of FM4 when we didn't have these delicious container fields.

Hi,

I have noticed that FM13 is backward compatible.

I designed a test data base with FM13 and was able to open it in FM12.

Is this deliberately built in because some clients may still be on FM12 but the designer is on FM13

The file format is the same so an FM12 client can open a file hosted on FM13 and vice versa.

BUT: there are significant changes between the two versions.  So before you mix and match you have to decide on who does what.

There are features that are supported on one but not the other.

Don't apply themes in 13 and expect them to work well in 12 - in fact, they could be a big slow-down

Be aware of what is calculated or handled server-side and what is not.

Thanks for your response, Wim. No server end yet. Maybe down the road but not before FM14.

I am the only person working on this right now. Setting up the database and entering the data.

Right now I have a paid for version of FM12 and a trial version of FM13.

Sounds like I should just stick to designing on FM12. I was just wondering if I may have compatibility problems when FM14 comes out and if it would be worth designing on FM13 to forestall what may be coming down the pipeline. But perhaps I am trying to think to far ahead and I should just stick with FM12 for now.

This topic is 3377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.