Deducing Unused Databases

This topic is 3365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Greetings! I've inherited an instance of FileMaker Server 12 that is hosting 100+ files, and 80% of them haven't been used or even logged into in years. 5% are used regularly, and 15% are used very occasionally. The issue is I haven't the foggiest idea which is which.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how I could, in one fell swoop, figure out which ones have fallen out of use?

Are there database file properties hiding somewhere? In a perfect world, I would like to know:

• The date any user last logged into a file;
  • The date any user last edited any data in the file;
  • The account name of those users;
  • The date the file was actually hosted.

(I realize the answer is probably no, but I can dream, right? And there has to be SOME way to figure this out besides asking 500 people which databases they use...) Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks!

- Joy

I would be cautious with the previous suggestion.. if their are 100+ files on the server then chances are that their is interconnected data. Turining off one file could cause huge issues with data that you may not be able to fix. Quick fix? probably not.

Fear not, I wouldn't have done it. But I definitely did get a good chuckle out of it, so many thanks to you, WorldWatcher. :-P

It was Deja Vu, I was talking to our DB Administrator in IT last week and she was talking about the same thing.  When I discribed the Squeaky Wheel Script she burst out laughing.  :))

>>>>

This topic is 3365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.