report design advice

This topic is 3330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I am after a bit of advice on how I might be able to format my report a bit better.

I have built a report based on a table and have a portal that then displays all related records. The report works fine in 50% of cases. 

The scenarios where it doesn't work is where the amount of related records exceeds the amount of rows shown by the portal. A scroll bar is displayed to the end user and the records can be seen by scrolling but this report is designed for printing.

Some records will have 1 related record, some may have 50. I need to find a way of catering for both of those senarios on one report. 

Can anyone help, I feel that the portal is a great form tool but maybe not so useful on the reporting side of things.

Many thanks

I have built a report based on a table and have a portal that then displays all related records.

A few (and rare) exceptions aside, it is standard procedure to produce reports from the most atomic table - in your case the "related records" table. Instead of a portal, show these records in the body of the layout (set to list view), and use a sub-summary part to show data from the parent records.

Note that such reports exclude parents with no children - that would be one of those exceptions.

This topic is 3330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.