Password Typo...

dwdata

This topic is 3344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey gang,

This is either encountered bug or I got lucky today.

I was customizing my product this morning and one of the task I had to do was change the Admin account and password to my main file to the clients simply account and password.

Account Name = Admin
PW = password

Well there is either a bug in FMP13 when saving accts/passwords OR I happen to get lucky enough to change and confirm the change with a TYPO.

I know there are passware apps on the market, but from what I see, they are only windoze based and I do not have a machine to install such an app. Any MAC versions? 

Anyone out there that can bail me out on this. I would sure appreciate it, Would hate to lose the work I put on this and have to revert to a backup.

Please contact me privately at [email protected]

Thanks all!

Don

Posting this in this General forum - was not getting any reads in the Security forum

Hey gang,

This is either encountered bug or I got lucky today.

I was customizing my product this morning and one of the task I had to do was change the Admin account and password to my main file to the clients simply account and password.

Account Name = Admin
PW = password

Well there is either a bug in FMP13 when saving accts/passwords OR I happen to get lucky enough to change and confirm the change with a TYPO.

I know there are passware apps on the market, but from what I see, they are only windoze based and I do not have a machine to install such an app. Any MAC versions? 

Anyone out there that can bail me out on this. I would sure appreciate it, Would hate to lose the work I put on this and have to revert to a backup.

Please contact me privately at [email protected]

Thanks all!

Don

I'm sure a moderator will warn you about cross posting. Its a nono.

A password cracker might work on an .fm7 file but not likely on an fmp12 file.

I would never recommend it under any circumstances as they may destroy the file.

You might want to contact FM Inc and see if they can help.

Hi Don,

I merged your two topics.

Please do not Multiple post your question, It serves no purpose.

We all would like to have instant answers to our questions. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes longer than a couple of hours. If your question hasn’t been replied to say in one day (24 hours), then feel free to bump it. There are many reasons why it can take a while to receive a reply to our questions, they include; time of day, day of the week, weekends, holidays, etc. if you find that you need to bump your post, there are some acceptable ways to do this. One of them does not include a making new post in the same topic, or a different topic area. Instead, you can bump your original post by doing something like, “ask if additional information is needed”, “read your post for additional information that you might want to provide” or, just use the word bump in a new reply.

There are many reasons for our rule about not multiple postings, but it mainly comes down to being a waste of everyone's time, yours and ours. Having to read the same question in multiple places and any replies, can be time consuming, and confusing to us all. If you have ever tried to follow a multiple post, you would know that it is not easy to follow jumping back between threads.

Lee

• Like 1

Thank you Lee. To be honest, at first I was not sure what category to post it in to gain most exposure. So I did both. Did not think it was going to be a huge issue. I'll change my ways. :-)

Don

LOL, it’s been such a long time since your last posted, I thought maybe you had forgotten.  :laugh:

When posting a question, just choose a topic that seems to fit your question, and go with it.  Those of us that answer the majority of the questions don’t really care what topic you post your questions  in, as long as it’s close to the right topic area. We’ll find it wherever it is posted. If it misses the target too much, one of our moderators will move to a more appropriate topic area.

BTW, We’ve had this question come up before, and I seem to remember at least one tool was mentioned for the Macintosh.

I would do a search in Google using  site: fmforums.com  and  a combination of different keywords, such as FileMaker and password cracker or breaker etc.), or any other kind of words you can associate with your question.

HTH

Lee

Hi Don,

Most of use read from 'View New Content' which shows every new post as they come through so we miss nothing.  Another reason you may NOT get immediate response is because folks are thinking about it and how best to provide a clear answer.  With FM, as you know, there are many approaches to every issue and considering the best answer isn't an instant thing.  

As for where you post ... as you can see, Lee is on top of things and he can move it then (or later) into the right forum.  If you make a mistake or are unsure, just do your best.  And yes, I agree with Kris ... first contact FMI or just grab your recent back from an hour ago (or less).  You DO have one, right? :-)

added word NOT

Edited by LaRetta

I have heard it is not easy to crack. (sorry that is not very helpful) As you say your backup might be the option, hopefully it is recent or incremental.

This does bring the question of good practice for handing over a client file. OT I know.
But I would be interested to know what others do.
My thoughts.
If you ever expect to work on the file again I would include my own password/account for access when the client forgets theirs.
Otherwise I would leave their account password blank and use option for user to set own password.

This topic is 3344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.