Geocoding and Mapping Module for FileMaker Pro

This topic is 3139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This looks like a great resource for mapping. Geocoding presents some conflicts with the Google API's terms of use for non-paying users, e.g., you can't save geocoding results, and you can't use them for anything but mapping. The OpenStreetMap and open version of the MapQuest APIs are both more permissive.

• Newbies

Hmmm, maybe I missed something (totally possible - there's a lot to read), but as I understand, the API is free to use for geocoding, as long as you only use those coordinates in Google maps, and also you're permitted to cache results for up to 30 days. Google does limit you to 2500 requests per day per IP address for free, and no more than 5 per second (which in my tests, FM Server 13 easily outstrips, so I had to put a delay in between loops). If you want more you have to use a paid API Key. 

the API is free to use for geocoding, as long as you only use those coordinates in Google maps

​That's exactly the restriction I mean. Every application I've worked on that uses geocoding needed it for purposes that don't involve maps, such as for distance calculations and location-radius-based finds.

It might be possible to mitigate your issue with the request rate limit by using a bulk geocoding API instead. Google and MapQuest both have one.

Edited by jbante

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.