Single Segment Button - Layout level Calculations

This topic is 3241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You can also style a single segment button bar as a button that does nothing with a calculation for the label, then style it to match a field or text on the layout and use it for layout level calculations with out the need to add a calculation to the schema.

Edited by Ocean West
  • Like 3

In a case of great minds think almost alike, Daniel Wood has come up with the idea of using Placeholder Text to provide layout-level calculations.  Two approaches where previously we had none!  

I could see advantages to either:  The button-bar method allows state-responsive styling (e.g., on hover, etc.), whereas Placeholder Text is its own state and thus can't respond to mouse-over, etc.  You could also incorporate an icon.  On the other hand, an empty global field with calculated placeholder text—you'd only need one such field in the file, potentially tucked away in a utility table—can be easily styled using your existing edit box styles (although similar styles could be defined for the button bar, of course).  Both approaches clearly demonstrate how a little bit of lateral thinking can get us places we previously couldn't go.

Mark

• Like 1

I must say I like this button bar implementation,  given it's on a button it will work with conditional formatting (which placeholder text does not) and the icon too is a bonus, very cool!

This topic is 3241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.