This topic is 3183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I went back to 13 because I found out that every few minutes when I work on a project in the scripting workspace I have lines jumping to other positions.

Its a script (but same in others) with about 500 lines and every few minutes (like 5 or so so) when I edit inside the line and go out of its scope it sits somewhere else, lets say from line 315 to 330.

Its not just sometimes its all the time every few edits I do.

Edited by knuellermueller

Hi, thank you for bringing up a potential issue.  :-)

You have no specs showing in your profile - can you fill in your OS platform and version and how your file is being served?  It will help us pin the issue.  This is the first I've heard of it (and I've been researching all posts on 14) and I haven't experienced it myself (Mavericks).  

If it is a bug, we need to report it.  If it isn't, we need to pin down why it is happening.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is your issue:

I had the same issue with moving from 11 to 12 (Ill try to find the video I submitted to FMI) they diagnosed the issue to be a corrupted db...but nothing was showing as being corrupted through my normal ways of detection.

After moving the data to an older version of the db all worked well.

Edited by Michelle Logan

Note: I just read a post you had in another topic and I am not sure if your post here is related. Is this happening on a database you created or a db that was part of the demo, that you have in another post?

If you created it then:

This was when FMP 12 frist came out and they did not know if it was a glitch or a problem with our db.

I don't know if we still have the video (we are looking at some old storage disks) it was only two or three seconds showing how the scripts started at point A and then jumped to point B...after seeing the video they wanted a sample of the db and then came back with the conclusion that the db was corrupt. The solution; to migrate the data out.

They did not give me any details on the corruption etc., just that it was.

As I stated after we exported the data to a saved copy that we kept just for emergencies, everything worked fine moving from 11 to 12 and then from 12 to 13.

A simple test would be to export just a portion of your data out to a saved copy and then test the scripts...if they don't jump, you could have the same issue as we did.

Edited by Michelle Logan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Same thing here. I'm running FMP 14 advanced on a PC with Windows 7. Not only do lines seem to have a mind of their own I've also seen scripts drop down to the end of the script  list.

Completely unusable for now, have reverted to 13. I can't believe this hasn't been caught before.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also experienced this. It is really frustrating. It seems like Filemaker Pro 14 for windows is a lot buggier than it is on OSX. I can't believe how bad some things are in the Windows version. Hopefully they can fix them in the next update, because at the moment I haven't recommended a single client to upgrade yet.

I haven't experienced the issue with Script Workspace but I sure have with calculations (Mavericks 10.9.5).  Were you, by any chance, in a calculation in the script when it happened?  Was this a pre-12 file which was migrated forward?

Originally, I could not even work in this calculation (video attached).  I only had the ~phrase portion of the calc and every time I tried to add the ~contact variable at the top by hitting return, it scrambled the entire calculation on me - completely scrambled it.  It was a placeholder calc which you notice double-spaces the lines - I didn't do that, although I DID add an extra return between the comments.

After several attempts to insert lines by hitting return and having it scramble, I copied a single space, de-selected it and pasted the single space then copied both 'single, inline' spaces and pasted them at the top and created the ~contact variable by modifying the existing single-space lines I had pasted.  Notice it is single-spaced unlike the rest of the calculation below.  And now it does not scramble if I insert returns anywhere but you see it STILL jumps and shifts oddly down the page but at least it worked and I was able to finish the calculation.

Will my single-space method help anyone else?  No clue but since it saved me maybe it'll help someone else.  All I did in this video is highlight where I planned to put a hard return immediately after that so you could see where I was inserting the return.

FMI really needs to jump on this one ... this is a serious bug.

Calc_Junk.mp4

Thank you, yes, I meant the bug which causes scramble in either script workspace or calculations.  I see them as connected although I cannot confirm how at this point.  

Older files are frequently more buggy.  Although FMI does a great job of converting, not everything translates perfectly and as new features are added/changed, these older files can act up, particularly with the major conversions we've had.  

This is one of the reasons sometimes replicating bugs can be difficult - how many translations has a solution been put through?  How many times has the file crashed and thus harbors hidden damage? And how many different OS version/FM version-updater combinations are there?

I'm not making excuses for FMI ... I hope an Updater will be released soon.  :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have also had frustration with this same issue. I actually made my own post about it, but I'll join this discussion since no one has responded in mine. I actually made a video that shows exactly what I've been experiencing:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44119740/FMScriptReorder.avi

(sorry I have to post this download link, I am not able to get the video to upload here)

I'll point out also that the file I'm working with in the video is one created new using FM14, and it was definitely not corrupted.

Hey jDu98a, thanks for the video, and figuring out what triggers it. This also helps explain why it has hasn't been affecting me as much lately, as I have become a lot better at navigating strictly with my keyboard, but it's good to know what causes it to help avoid line jumping till they fix it.

Hopefully they fix it sooner rather than later, and some of the other bugs I've been experiencing. Like selecting a layout but being taken to the wrong one! But that is an issue for another post. 

Good job on the video, jdu. Hope you've reported it to FileMaker as well. I experienced this today for the first time. Jolting when it happens.

1. Pasted a Set Variable script step, on line 2
  2. Edited the calculation
  3. Hit enter
  4. Boom! The step is now on line 45. (The script is about 100 lines total.)

There may have been another click in there, haven't tried to reproduce it. But I definitely did not move the line intentionally. I have been annoyed by the new script editor window scrolling when I don't want it to. (Like if you have a line near the bottom selected and then you scroll to the top.) But this is the only time I've seen a script step jump. Windows 7.

I have not reported anything to Filemaker yet. I made the video for folks to find out if it was a common thing or just my copy of windows acting up. I'll be in Las Vegas in a few weeks for the conference. I was thinking about showing someone there.

This topic is 3183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.