Managing Filemaker coding using Perforce (code vault)

This topic is 3228 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

As our Filemaker developed tools become more mainstream in the company, we're being asked to manage the code using Perforce and for version control. About the only thing I can see is versioned clones. However, it would appear that Perforce is most happy managing text rather than binaries. The XML from a DDR is too far removed probably from something one can check out and promptly create a working database quickly.

We're arranging to meet with Filemaker engineers after they research how their larger clients handle this question. If anyone has experience with Filemaker and Perforce or any other code vault application, we'd love to hear from you. I promise to share what we find as we work this out.

Bill

The attachment shows Perforce file types, although I've heard that it can store a clone, but not manage it.

------

Bill LeDrew| FileMaker Pro ORC | Wizards of the Coast | [email protected] | Cell: 206.399.8457

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 3.36.18 PM.png

My constraints are to have isolated development, staging, and production servers that never touch each other and that the developer can't access production code or data. Never found a justification for using source code control other than FileMaker backups. Are they just comfortable with the idea of source control so think that mandating it for FM development must be a good idea if everyone else does it? FM "source code" & data are married so its different than source code generation languages like java, c++, php, etc. You cant just roll back without considering DB schema structures and the data in them.

Edited by Kris M

I'm not associated in anyway with beezwax, but have you considered inspector? The latest version has a new "version comparison" feature. Daily DDR uploads could be mostly automated. Data from inspector further processed and exported as desired.

Just an idea...

Edited by artvault

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.