Interrelating FileMaker and ArcGIS databases

This topic is 3226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am investigating interrelating FileMaker and ArcGIS databases.  I am from the botanical world and design databases on a simplified level, so please bear with me!

For instance, (and this is an over-simplified version) in both ArcGIS and FileMaker, we have a field in our databases which lists a plants status as alive or dead.  Both of these databases are available outside, in the garden.  We often would like to update just one source, and correct a plant's status in the garden on both systems.  This would alter both the ArcGIS and the FileMaker databases, through just one update, probably in FileMaker Pro is my guess.

I am imagining this can be accomplished through JDBC, ODBC, or SQL.  Ideally it would be via SQL.  It will provide a portal between the two systems, and update each others tables whenever the need arises.

From what I understand, this should be possible.  If for some reason we can't get the two databases talking directly with each other, perhaps inter-relating the two with a back-end SQL database is a possibility?  We may try to build a FileMaker web portal to an ArcGIS web-viewer which can be updated, but it is kinda kludgey and does not update both tables.

If anyone knows a method how this can be accomplished, please let me know!  Or reccomendations on where I can post to the correct forum. 

And please let me know if I am not making any sense or I am garbling the language.  I am known for both. ;-)

Cheers,
Tony

Edited by Tony Morosco

This topic is 3226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.