Linking Contact to existing Project

This topic is 3234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, 

I'm working in the small recruiting company and we just started to use FM and Starting point. I loaded contacts and projects data into the database. Then I wanted to cross reference Contacts (candidates), that we want to be part of the already existing Project (search), to that particular Project, I could not do that. I can open only a new project from contacts tab. Is there a script that I can use to connect specific contact with already existing project and have that information be displayed in the contact's secondary tab?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Anna

It does this already, but you have to start in the contacts tab. Make the Contact into an Account, then from there, Add a project.

it is not the best workflow, but it is technically possible. You can also begin scripting certain actions to do it all at once. you have to use a variable for each item that will be copied over, set field to enter each variable, and go to layout and freeze window go to layout reinsert the variables in the new relevant fields(while using New Record request, at the start, and commit record request at the end) of each copied block.Then have it go to layout again to the desired layout.

Or go to the table view, add the correct ID_contact and ID_account to each item. if a name is there without a matching ID, it will not produce the desired results.

• Newbies

Thank you for reply. 

Sadly first way is not going to work for us. We use accounts as possible client companies that we do business development with. Projects are our actual searches for placements. we can have one contacts be part of 2-3 projects and different accounts.

We don't need to create any new information, we just need to display parts of already existing info from different major tabs (Accounts and Projects).

Create Table Occurences with the categories seperating the contacts.

Create a new Value List with the Field Separating each type.

Add a Global Field to the Contacts menu.

Create a new Layout, With the new Table occurrence as it's base.

Create a reference where (Category = Global Value ( for example, Leads)

You can now Sort your contacts by that type.

You can always show (ALL) contacts and then use them anywhere.)

Then you can add Portal, Select matching records, and show all the new fields you want to use.

You will probably want to import the VLOOKUP function someone wrote on brian cunning's website. (you may want to disable it's code to return the first 4 entries, as it CAN lead to problems)

(you can then define fields without having to use a portal to call up related data). There are some more efficient methods of doing this, but FMSP has SO many tables that trying to do it with relationship tracking will only cause endless problems

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the thing about organization...most of them run in different ways with different WorkFlow.

With FMSP we covered all the basics...and its up to people like yourself to customize it to meet your exact needs.

It sounds like you want more than one staff attached to a project?  If you do, then you need to add a new Table called Project_Staff (or something similar).

Then add that as a secondary tab in the Project screen.  You will decide how to populate the entries.  It can be scripts... or you could recycles some of our search functionality.

Anyway...once you have the data going into Projects Staff... with both ID_staff and iD_project populated... then it is easy enough to create a portal in Staff... so you can see all the projects populated by the Portal.

It also being up an interested design change.  I would assume that the Primary staff listed in a Project would also be listed as entry #1 on the Projects_Staff Portal/table.   Hmmm.

So when adding the first staff to a project...one of two design adjustments would need to be done.   Lead the Text Field for Staff...and after it is input... make sure it is automatically cross populated to the First Related Record on the that new Projects Staff Portal/Table.  Probably with a Script Trigger.  The other other way would be to nuke the field...and make that Primary Staff Field... now become Portal Row #1 of the related record for Projects/Staff.

If you want some assistance from my team of these adjusted... just reach out to them at [email protected]

This topic is 3234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.